Should you upgrade to Ios 4.1. on iphone 4.0

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Amacron, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Amacron macrumors newbie

what are everybody thoughts on upgrading to 4.1 on the iphone 4.0? Just wondering if I should. The phone is neither jailbroke or unlocked, does this make a difference? If I upgrade to 4.1 can I jailbrake it at a later date?

thanks you in advance

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

what are everybody thoughts on upgrading to 4.1 on the iphone 4.0? Just wondering if I should. The phone is neither jailbroke or unlocked, does this make a difference? If I upgrade to 4.1 can I jailbrake it at a later date?

thanks you in advance

There is no iPhone 4.0, it's just the iPhone 4. iOS 4.1 has additional features such as HDR photos and more. You can find them on Apple's website. It is your decision if you want to update or not. You can jailbreak it later if you wish.

3. Vrejii macrumors newbie

There is a jailbreak out for 4.1 but you can't unlock it as of now and it might never be unlockable according to Dev Team.

4. Amacron thread starter macrumors newbie

5. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

I'm done updating software for no damn reason any more

there are so many apps I updated that lost function/added stupid ads

im happy with iphone iOS 4.0.1

it does everything i need it to do, and no lag/delays when taking pictures

6. yac macrumors newbie

Please save your SHSH blobs with Tiny Umbrella(forget Cydia, it's worthless for everything) ASAP since you will not be able to restore your phone to 4.0.x without the SHSH blobs(Apple stopped signing 4.0.x). You dont need to JB to extract your SHSH blobs, although i highly recommend it.

I agree with you on this one, i too hesitate upgrading iOS, the only problem is Apple wants devs to target the latest version, thus creating pressure on users to upgrade. We are already seeing plenty of apps requiring 4.1, when a fair proportion of the iPhone user base can't even install 4.1(iPhone 2G & 3G).

It's the same with apps requiring 3.1.3 when there is absolutely no good reason to do so. I've spoken with devs about this and for instance Team 17 said that they target late versions to avoid problems. They didnt clarify which problems, so i can only assume its fear of retribution from Apple in the form of delayed approvals etc. Remember though that there are ways to spoof the required version inside the app, and this will work as long as the app doesnt make use of any calls that are unique to the newer version. In the case of 3.1.3 vs 3.1.2 it will work everytime which highlights the weak reasons Team17 and others try to push on ill-informed end users

What we need is a open-source alternative to iOS, which maintains compatibility, allowing the community to drive and help develop the iOS.

The more restrictive Apple gets with their handling of developers and end users, the more likely we are to see this. Fingers crossed!

I recommend everyone to jailbreak their phones for the following reasons:

1. It's perfectly legal.
    2. It allows greater control over your phone, with the ability to decide for yourself how you want to use the bandwidth that you are paying for. I.e no ads. :)