Shoulder bag for DSLR + 13" MBA?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MattZani, Nov 3, 2011.

1. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I'm studying Photography at uni, and want a way to take my 13" MBA and 7D with a lens or 2 into uni each day, shoulder bag seems the best solution.

Only requirements are that it doesn't scream camera bag, and maybe has space for a bite to eat :p

Looked at a few things but nothings really jumped out at me, all are either 15" or too deep, don't want it to be obviously a camera bag considering the value of the contents....

2. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

3. MattZani, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

looks good but still a bit 'camera bag' for my liking, the material and the way it holds its shape, but probably one of the best I've looked at.

Edit - Actually, the 33 looks a bit more suited to my needs, as the 38 is once again a 15.4" size, and they're accommodating for bulky laptops, rather than the tiny MBA.

4. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I have the 38 and have a 13 MBA. Cant complain about the size as it fits quite a bit of gear. Its a very clever bag.

5. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Timbuk2 Snoop bag or any of the Timbuk2 bags with or without a camera insert.

For years I've been using my Timbuk2 Blogger bag as a second camera bag. Whenever I travel, instead of carrying two bags, I will put my camera inside my messenger bag. Its padded on the back. There is a TPU lining. And its weather proof. Perfect for carrying gear. Even if I get caught in the rain, I don't have to worry about covering the bag because it protects my gear from the elements.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/snoop-camera-messenger

6. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

I'm not looking for something massive though, which is why I thought the 33 might be better.

The snoop looks pretty good too, about the right depth, the small one being 5", can't go any lower because of the 7D but seen some that are twice that :|

7. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I'm using a tarmac Passport Sling. I put in my iPad and a D3S with a 24-70mm lens. It has space for another lens (14-24mm, or 70-200mm) and even my 11 inch MBA. You have to take the padding out and then do a tiny bit of surgery to get things just the way you want but after that it all works well.

8. rcappo macrumors regular

I use a Pelican case, because I feel that my laptop and DSLR + lenses are too light. ;)

It really does protect them from all the abuse from traveling around the world that I put them through.

9. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

+1 for Timbuk2. great bags, last a lifetime.

10. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

Tenba has the perfect solution. Check out their website.

11. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

You can also just go with just the Timbuk2 messenger bag. I think they made the Snoop bag due to the demand and that a lot of photogs were modding their Messenger bags. I actually use my Classic messenger bag as a camera bag. Whenever I rent a large zoom, I carry my gear in my Classic Timbuk2.

I would go with a medium only because you might want to carry a book or maybe clothing inside. I keep my MBP inside a sleeve eventhough the bag is padded and lined. So I got the medium to accommodate that. I can store my Macbook Pro and a few important papers inside the laptop compartment.

This one actually fits what you need. This user has about the same gear you want to carry.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulcredmond/6191517008/

You can check out more photos here
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=timbuk2 snoop

12. tortura macrumors newbie

Crupmler

master delhi

ist the choice!

ist leather, its robust, its very funktional, it has a extra bag for cam,
    it has extra bag for notebook and and and

and it looks good

13. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

14. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

15. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Just to add to your options, have you looked at the Crumpler range? They are superb bags, a little pricey but good quality and a good variety of bags for different uses.

16. Hankster, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I have two Crumbler camera bags and one laptop bag. All three are very well designed and built. The price is a little high compared to other companies, but the quality is truly there.

17. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Cheers for the link, thats proven to me that the snoop2 is waaaay too big, I only want one body and 2 lenses, MBA and charger, just a general every day kit. Might go the route of just modifying a messenger bag I find to also hold a camera/laptop

18. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Just as I was really considering a Crumpler bag with a camera sack inside I realised the products they sell to the UK are completely different and a lot worse :/

19. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

One of my buddies in the UK got one of the Crumpler bags this year, and I noticed a small difference. The US bags flaps cover more of the sides and has a handle on top vs UK hand grip thingy. I think he got the Cupcake which is close to the Crumpler Million Dollar bags. I have a Crumpler Bag but its a small one that carries a DSLR and 1 lens. The quality is great. I've had it since 2007. I couldn't image the UK bags quality any different.

I posted the medium Timbuk2 Snoop bag only because I thought you might want to carry more stuff inside the main compartment. I know when I travel, I will carry my Timbuk2 bag, camera + lens, and a change of clothes. And sometimes throw in my MBP inside the bag. I don't like my shutter button getting squished inside a bag. That's why I like using a bag that fits a 15in laptop.

If you want to mod, you can also look into getting a Tenba inserts for your messenger bag. Or check out Tenba bags.

http://www.tenba.com/

20. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Think I'm gonna go for the Tenba Messenger Mini, as it will just fit a MacBook Air in (Not thickness obviously) which is kinda the size I want, I can sit my 7D with a lens, and another lens or 2 on the foot print of the MBA.

£82 delivered in the Uk, they're $92 direct! But they won't ship to the Uk :(

21. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Woah saved me making my own thread! Had relatives asking what kind of bag I wanted for my 13" MBP and Canon 550D + 1 lens and I agree a bag that screams "Camera!" Is cool in class or "on set" but anywhere else and I feel like I have to constantly carry my stuff with me even if I just run to the bathroom for 5 seconds :O (I always usually ask a "focused" looking student to keep an eye on my stuff and bring my iPhone with me since my MBP can be tracked ;)

22. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Make sure you have enough room for the D7k. The height on the body could be an issue. Make sure that you have enough room.

Width 5.2 in. (132mm)
    Height 4.1 in. (103mm)
    Depth 3.0 in. (77mm)

@nateo200 Crumpler or Timbuk2 are great because they don't scream camera bag. Also, ThinkTank has a line of bags. What I like about Timbuk2 is that they have a TPU lining which is an added weather protection for your gear. I swear I was in a serious downpour once waiting to ride the commuter bus. When I got on the bus, everyone asked how I was so dry. I said my Timbuk2 covered my backside and everything else that was inside the bag. lol Several times I used my bag at a concert, shooting in thunderous rain...all my gear was safe.

23. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I use to have a Billingham and it was a great bag, but I found that a shoulder bag wasn't ideal. I replaced it with the Kata backpack and that's much better.

24. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/urban-disguise-35-v2.aspx

I have the Urban Disguise 50 for use with my 15" MBP. It normally contains my D700 with a 24-70 f2.8 lens attached along with a second f2.8 lens of some sort and possibly a third lens or teleconverter along with accessories. It has pockets on the outside for two flashes. The quality of manufacture is first rate. It's a really nice bag for traveling. It fits under an airline seat and has a pocket to fit over the handle on my rolling suitcase and is very manageable at an airport. My only gripe with the bag is that it won't zip closed when my camera has an 80-200 f2.8 lens mounted on it, but other than that it's great. The model 35 bag will do that body/lens combo, but then it wouldn't take the 15" laptop.

I recently bought ThinkTank's Airport Checkin laptop bag for work and it's a first rate bag too, but it is not designed to store camera gear.