Shoulder Stabilizers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MattSepeta, Oct 28, 2010.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

My shoulders dislocate with disturbing ease. I have had reconstructive surgery on one of them already, and the doctor advised me to get it on the other one as soon as I am "done" snowboarding. I have dislocated the repaired shoulder countless times post-op already, and am pretty not looking forward to the eminent dislocations this winter.... I have dislocated a shoulder at least twice every season since my first dislocation.

Anyways, I am sick of the fear hampering my riding, so I was wondering if there are any gizmos/contraptions out there kind of like this:

[​IMG]

But for BOTH shoulders?

Thanks!

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I really hate to break this to you, dude, but you need a new hobby...

Dale

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yeah, it's called a straight jacket.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

:eek: Good God, you are setting yourself up for a World of hurt, if you get older. ;)

5. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Hilarious!

I notice that all of the respondents so far are not spring chickens (including me). :p

6. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

I'm a snowboarder too, so I understand how "Find a new hobby" isn't exactly the easiest thing to swallow. Snowboarding is awesome. :)

If you are consistently dislocating your shoulders, you're gearing yourself up for some permanent damage down the road. I've never seen a shoulder brace built for both shoulders simultaneously, but it looks like you could comfortably strap on two smaller braces, one for each shoulder. That's the only option I can think of, short of donning a suit of armor.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, we represent wisdom, if not based on our personal experience, then that of others.

I daily count myself lucky that I don't have the afflictions that vex others.

8. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, your affliction is to vex others. :)

10. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Well

Looks like I'm going with the Darth Vader suit.

Seriously though, "finding a new hobby" is not really an option as I do lots of action sports photography, and this "requires" me to snowboard.

Besides, I dislocate my shoulders doing other things to, like laying in bed, reaching for something in the wrong way, etc... Its really, really great :)

11. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

"Requires" my arse! You love it, so say it's so. I have a friend who broke his neck on a snowboard and didn't quit. He is seriously into rock climbing, too.

Dale