Resolved Shouldn't a PowerMac G5 be able to charge an iPad1?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Jul 31, 2013.

1. RedCroissant, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013

RedCroissant Suspended

Hello all,

I recently plugged my iPad 1 into a usb port on my PM G5 quad and the iPad said that it wasn't charging. Shouldn't it be able to do that or this a powered usb port that I should be using instead? It's not a huge deal since I do have the wall adapter for it, but I was just wondering. Thanks in advance!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The only PowerPC Mac that can charge an iPad near full speed is the G4 Cube. Every other one can output only 500mah. Even though the iPad says "Not Charging" it is, but more slowly than what it can charge at.

3. wobegong Guest

I agree, my cheap chinese iPhone5 cables (with correct Apple charger so I dont get zapped..) also report "Not Charging" but they are - would guess yours is the same.

4. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Thanks! That's good to know! I appreciate the quick responses too!

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Of note: A 500 mA USB port will charge an iPad, it will just do it very slowly, and only when the display is off.

I plugged mine in to my old iMac overnight, and it went from about 10% charge to about 70% charge. But again, make sure the screen turns off and stays off, I've had my daughter leave a game running that forces the display to stay on, and it drained instead of charged.

6. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Meh, it will work fine just shut down your tablet and let it sit for a few days.

7. MrPilot macrumors 6502

oh come on, the solution is a few mins away.

If you need to double the power output on the USB port, simply take two usb cords and create your own Y-Split cable. leave white and green alone, just strip the black and red cable and connect it to the second cable.

Took me 3 mins and now I have a USB cable that will use both USB ports to power (in my case) a USB2 external HD.

P.S
    Remember that the first layer inside the cable is RF shielding, not ground! so you can go ahead and remove that.

8. RickyB macrumors regular

My intel Mac Mini is the same. Like others have said, it does charge, but just really slowly.