Shouldn't have Dragged iCal icon from Apps folder to Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Striperonfly, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Striperonfly macrumors newbie

We recently switched from a Windows PC to an iMac. So far love it, but there is a learning curve!

My wife said she could not find the calendar app icon (iCal) - we have both been using it in our respective accounts - I guess it had been awhile since she had used it?

Thinking I would solve the problem, I logged onto her account and went into the Applications folder and dragged the iCal icon onto the desktop.

Not exactly sure what happened next - my belief is that just by using the application, the iCal icon reappeared on her toolbar - so all is fine again with respect to her being able to launch the program from the toolbar, EXCEPT...

the iCal icon that I dragged onto the desktop is still there and I can't get rid of it. If I move it to the trash, but clicking on the iCal icon (the link) in the toolbar won't launch the program - it has to be removed from the trash. I can't put it back into the Application folder - it asks if I want to replace the existing App and I'm afraid we will lose all appointments, etc. that we already input into the program.

Please help - I promise I won't do this again!

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

iCal should still be in your Applications folder. Check there to see!

What you dragged to the desktop was almost certainly an Alias (there should be a small curved arrow on the icon), and any open application will appear in the Dock.

Quit iCal (command-Q). Drag the alias on the desktop to the trash. If there is an iCal Icon still in the dock, drag it off the dock (it should vanish with a puff of smoke). Now drag iCal from the Application folder to the Dock in the spot you want it, to the left of (or above depending on Dock location) the dashed dividing line. This will put a new alias in the Dock.

For the record, your calendar items are not stored in the application, but are stored in the hidden "Library" folder.

3. Striperonfly thread starter macrumors newbie

talmy - Thanks - it worked!

Hi talmy -

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it - your suggestion fixed my problem!