Shouldn't iPhoto come free with a Lion upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrono1081, Oct 13, 2011.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

My friends Mac insists he pay to upgrade to iPhoto 11 (or whichever is the version needed to work with iClouds Photostream). However he just upgraded the machine to Lion, shouldn't the latest version of iPhoto already be on there?

Is there a way to upgrade it without paying for it? We tried software update but it showed no updates being available.

2. simsaladimbamba

No, it shouldn't.
    iLife only comes with the OS on the grey Restore DVDs, but never just with the OS alone, as Leopard, nor Snow Leopard, nor Lion did and do include any kind of iLife or iPhoto.

To get from iPhoto '09 to iPhoto '11 for free, you have to go that route we don't talk about.

3. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Oh ok. I wonder why mine was updated on my Air. Its a 2010 so maybe thats why?

I'll just let him know. I thought it was a bug or something. Thanks for the explanation :) That explains why its on a separate disk.

4. Sc00tr macrumors regular

It depends on the version. iLife 11 is iPhoto version 9. if you have iphoto version 9.x tehn it is a free update. If it is before that then you need to pay for it.

I have 9.1.5 and currently updating to 9.2 which is the latest for icloud. The problem I am having is that it is not showing up when I check for updates on the MAC and also with in iphoto. So to fix this I went to the apple support page and downloaded the update. You can do this as long as you have version 9.x.

5. whawhat macrumors 6502

pretty lame. just spent over $300 dollars for a new iPhone, $30 for Lion (not to mention over $1500 for a new macbook pro 6 months ago) and now apple wants me to upgrade my iPhoto? ridiculous imo.

6. aonelas macrumors newbie

Yea streaming photos is definitely not free. " It just works" for a minimum of $45 worth of software upgrades ~ or a brand new Mac of course.

7. Sc00tr macrumors regular

6 month macbooks should have iPhoto 9. It is a free update.
    Iphoto 9 is part of iLife '11 which is what is required.

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I think it's stupid that iCloud requires a paid product for photostream on OS X, while on Windows, it's free.

9. pooryou macrumors 65816

Yep if they are going to support Windows they could at least support Snow Leopard.

Seems like a pretty ham fisted attempt to force upgrades to Lion....not too impressed by this behavior Apple.