Shouldn't iTunes be able to...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ozzyman500, Oct 10, 2009.

1. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

rip DVD's/Blue Ray's by now? I mean c'mon...it's not 2003 anymore. Everyone is using high quality material and I'm sure most of you are sick of using third party apps to rip movies. Hopefully it will come with iTunes 10. :D

2. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

Except they risk running afoul of the studios and the DMCA if they do this. You'll be waiting a lot longer than version 10 for these features.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I like the customizability without 3rd party rippers. And isn't ripping against some kind of DRM?

4. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

Yes, it is, and iTunes ripping DVDs will not happen for a good long time. It's worth noting that iTunes can still rip CDs in the United Kingdom, where doing so is very illegal. Interesting.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Don't hold your breath on Apple offering anything that violates copyrights.
    Macs don't have Blu-ray players.

6. n459umb4786ers macrumors regular

What do you mean? Are you saying ripping your own CDs on iTunes to add them to your iPod is illegal?

7. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Oh, and I suppose ripping MUSIC isn't doing that, no?. :rolleyes:

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It was in Australia too until very recently.

9. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

This is based on my (poor) memory, but I believe it was technically a violation of something (DMCA?) but wasn't something that was enforced.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

There are a crapload of antipiracy laws that make ripping DVDs next to impossible. Recently, Real Networks or whatever they're called got ruled against to keep supporting their DVD ripping program.

And besides, BDR technology is useless. It's not even gaining that much market share. I hardly see people buying movies in disc form, and I see about 1/10 movie disc buyers buy BDR. This isn't the middle of nowhere, I live in the Silicon Valley, where technology stuff is rampant everywhere.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, ripping music that you own isn't a copyright violation, unless you share copies of that music with others.

12. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

In the US.

In some countries it is still technically illegal to rip CD's even for personal use.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Well, since both the OP who I responded to and I reside in the US, the laws from other countries are irrelevant to my answer.