Shouldn't the 3.1.2 update cost $10...?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ABernardoJr, Oct 12, 2009.

1. ABernardoJr macrumors 6502

Well I just plugged in my iPod Touch (2nd Generation I believe), but I never bought the 3.0 firmware update for $10. iTunes offered a download for 3.1.2, which I assumed would cost the ten dollars because I hadn't upgraded to the 3.0 update yet. I just selected Download Only or something like that and it's downloading now, but has this been the case with others? Am I missing something? lol I assume something will force an error if I try to put it on my iPod but I've been out of the loop with iPod Touch updates lately, so forgive me for any oversight I may be exhibiting right now.

BTW the update is 265 MB, and downloading right now. I'm just wondering, will the cue come up if I try to install it or something onto my iPod?

I appreciate any help btw

PS the iPod hasn't been jailbroken before (still hasn't lol)

2. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I'm pretty sure that Apple has dropped those upgrade fees as a result of an accounting rules change.

You might luck out.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

They were still charging for 3.1.1, I remember they said at the latest iPod keynote that they were dropping the price to $4.95. IIRC this same thing happened last year with the later 2.1.x and 2.2.x software, lots of people were randomly able to get it for free for apparently no reason.

Generally if it's started downloading then you'll be alright to install it.

4. ABernardoJr thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help people. I installed it this morning and it works, got the Voice Memos app and all. Crazy, unless it charged me without prompting anything, I got it for free. Nice lol :D

5. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

only apple would charge you for firmware updates.

6. Dieder macrumors member

Is there a new update? I have a 3G iPod Touch... can't find anything about it/

7. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

I bought 3.1.1 when the price dropped to 5 bucks, and a day or two I was notified that I could download the 3.1.2 for free. Works great-- it seems to find WiFi a lot easier, without having to log onto networks again and again.
    I think these subsequent "updates" are more like tweaks to something already released, so it makes sense that they wouldn't charge for them.
    If you never bought any of the 3.x software, maybe you just got lucky!

8. 1283956 macrumors newbie

you theoretically have to pay for each increase in 1

pay at 1.0, 2.0, 3.0

if you bought a new touch or have paid for the 3.0 firmware, each decimal upgrade is free, you'll have to pay at 4.0

i say theoretical as you can get all updates for free if you use google

9. nigameash macrumors 6502

i noticed this with my itouch recently, i downloaded 3.1.1 off the net and restored my itouch with it. i never bought the upgrade and i was on 2.x when i bought the ipod. then when 3.1.2 was released, itunes told me that an update was available and i got it for free :p :D

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

i got the 3g ipod touch 32. mine just updated it for free :/