Shoutout to PPC

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Florida
Here it is... before Antennagate, Bendgate, etc. there was Applegate! :D

LOL seriously, I love this community and all the support you guys have given me in the past with my eMac/iBook G4...

This pic taken from my hackintosh C2Q 3.0 GHz running Yosemite in a MDD G4 case for nostalgia.

Attachments

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Nice! I don't NEED a new computer as of now, but I really want to build a Hackintosh some day. I have some questions to ask you, now that I have finally gotten ahold of someone who has done the G4-Hackintosh case mod! How did you build yours? I am aware that, first of all, you need to create custom risers/mounts for the motherboard, wire the new components to the original power button, and put a new fan in place of the old one (that main one that's attached to a whole bracket). And perhaps an extra fan somewhere in the case---I commonly see two configurations: A hole cut in the bottom of the casing, or a hole cut in the side of the casing (at the back of the G4).

Other than maybe cutting the hole larger for the new power supply, I am not sure of the best way to go about this. What was the most difficult part for you? I think it would be cool to have a Hackintosh in a miniature case, but I may consider putting one in a G4 case.

The PPC community will always be here to help---we all like answering people's questions, giving advice, etc. Would you mind showing some pictures of your machine w/ some explanation on how you built it? ;)

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Here it is... before Antennagate, Bendgate, etc. there was Applegate! :D

LOL seriously, I love this community and all the support you guys have given me in the past with my eMac/iBook G4...

This pic taken from my hackintosh C2Q 3.0 GHz running Yosemite in a MDD G4 case for nostalgia.
They changed the logo to show the right way up with the lid open on the PowerBook G4 Titanium.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors 604
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Dude, that's Witherspoon. This is Applegate
Witherspoon indeed. I remember the movie well.

They changed the logo to show the right way up with lid open the PowerBook G4 Titanium.
It looks properly upside down in that screenshot to me.

There were a lot of iBooks and Lombards/Pismos both on TV and in the movies back in those days...the upside down Apple was always distinctive.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
There were a lot of iBooks and Lombards/Pismos both on TV and in the movies back in those days...the upside down Apple was always distinctive.
It became obvious when they lit the logo on the PowerBook G3. The story I heard had the product placement guys taking it to Steve, who decided to change it.

Most laptop lids at that time were slabs of plastic, no big manufacturer logos, maybe a discreet model name a corner that showed right way up for the user. Most of the PC manufacturers copied the Apple big logo approach within a couple of years, well other than IBM...

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors 604
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
It became obvious when they lit the logo on the PowerBook G3. The story I heard had the product placement guys taking it to Steve, who decided to change it.

Most laptop lids at that time were slabs of plastic, no big manufacturer logos, maybe a discreet model name a corner that showed right way up for the user. Most of the PC manufacturers copied the Apple big logo approach within a couple of years, well other than IBM...
I remember watching Everybody Loves Raymond and noticing Ray sitting on his couch using a G3 with the big, glowing upside down logo(I think everything after the Wallstreet had the translucent, glowing logo).

As a heterosexual, currently single, male I can honestly claim to have never watched Sex in the City :) , but I understand that one of the characters on there had a Wallstreet/Lombard/Pismo where the upside down Apple was quite prominent.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
As a heterosexual, currently single, male I can honestly claim to have never watched Sex in the City :) , but I understand that one of the characters on there had a Wallstreet/Lombard/Pismo where the upside down Apple was quite prominent.
Ditto.

First one I recall seeing was in The West Wing. Toby had PowerBook G3. Think it changed to a TiBook in later series. I would go check, but them I'll end up watching it all again!

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Florida
Nice! I don't NEED a new computer as of now, but I really want to build a Hackintosh some day. I have some questions to ask you, now that I have finally gotten ahold of someone who has done the G4-Hackintosh case mod! How did you build yours? I am aware that, first of all, you need to create custom risers/mounts for the motherboard, wire the new components to the original power button, and put a new fan in place of the old one (that main one that's attached to a whole bracket). And perhaps an extra fan somewhere in the case---I commonly see two configurations: A hole cut in the bottom of the casing, or a hole cut in the side of the casing (at the back of the G4).

Other than maybe cutting the hole larger for the new power supply, I am not sure of the best way to go about this. What was the most difficult part for you? I think it would be cool to have a Hackintosh in a miniature case, but I may consider putting one in a G4 case.

The PPC community will always be here to help---we all like answering people's questions, giving advice, etc. Would you mind showing some pictures of your machine w/ some explanation on how you built it? ;)
Hey, your hackintosh sounds really cool! Have you yet posted a description of how you did it? I'd love to see pictures! :D
I'd like to see pics of your hackintosh as well.
Not sure if I can call it complete, since it's missing the back lol.. It's still a work in progress, looks best from the front/sides haha :cool:

Anyways, I tried following some guides on the process, mainly I had to figure how hack back off, mount the board and dremel off the cd rom supports to make it fit. One guy I followed has removed the original PSU and implanted a new one in its shell to retain the function and power..

I wish I could have figured a way to keep the original backplate in tact, next time around I might try to run extensions and glue them to the back haha. I could see it working, but then having even more alignment issues especially with the expansion slots being at the top.. Its definitely not the most stable mod and wish I had went with an older G4 with a more traditional back panel..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.