Shoutout to PPC

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 76ShovelHead, Jan 17, 2015.

1. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Here it is... before Antennagate, Bendgate, etc. there was Applegate! :D

LOL seriously, I love this community and all the support you guys have given me in the past with my eMac/iBook G4...

This pic taken from my hackintosh C2Q 3.0 GHz running Yosemite in a MDD G4 case for nostalgia.

Attached Files:

• ddd.jpg
      ddd.jpg
      File size:
      303.7 KB
      Views:
  2. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Hey, your hackintosh sounds really cool! Have you yet posted a description of how you did it? I'd love to see pictures! :D

3. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Nice! I don't NEED a new computer as of now, but I really want to build a Hackintosh some day. I have some questions to ask you, now that I have finally gotten ahold of someone who has done the G4-Hackintosh case mod! How did you build yours? I am aware that, first of all, you need to create custom risers/mounts for the motherboard, wire the new components to the original power button, and put a new fan in place of the old one (that main one that's attached to a whole bracket). And perhaps an extra fan somewhere in the case---I commonly see two configurations: A hole cut in the bottom of the casing, or a hole cut in the side of the casing (at the back of the G4).

Other than maybe cutting the hole larger for the new power supply, I am not sure of the best way to go about this. What was the most difficult part for you? I think it would be cool to have a Hackintosh in a miniature case, but I may consider putting one in a G4 case.

The PPC community will always be here to help---we all like answering people's questions, giving advice, etc. Would you mind showing some pictures of your machine w/ some explanation on how you built it? ;)

4. weckart macrumors 68040

Dude, that's Witherspoon. This is Applegate

Attached Files:

5. bse5150 macrumors 6502

bse5150

I'd like to see pics of your hackintosh as well.

6. MagicBoy, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015

MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

They changed the logo to show the right way up with the lid open on the PowerBook G4 Titanium.

7. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Witherspoon indeed. I remember the movie well.

It looks properly upside down in that screenshot to me.

There were a lot of iBooks and Lombards/Pismos both on TV and in the movies back in those days...the upside down Apple was always distinctive.

8. MagicBoy, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015

MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It became obvious when they lit the logo on the PowerBook G3. The story I heard had the product placement guys taking it to Steve, who decided to change it.

Most laptop lids at that time were slabs of plastic, no big manufacturer logos, maybe a discreet model name a corner that showed right way up for the user. Most of the PC manufacturers copied the Apple big logo approach within a couple of years, well other than IBM...

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I remember watching Everybody Loves Raymond and noticing Ray sitting on his couch using a G3 with the big, glowing upside down logo(I think everything after the Wallstreet had the translucent, glowing logo).

As a heterosexual, currently single, male I can honestly claim to have never watched Sex in the City :) , but I understand that one of the characters on there had a Wallstreet/Lombard/Pismo where the upside down Apple was quite prominent.

10. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Ditto.

First one I recall seeing was in The West Wing. Toby had PowerBook G3. Think it changed to a TiBook in later series. I would go check, but them I'll end up watching it all again!

11. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Not sure if I can call it complete, since it's missing the back lol.. It's still a work in progress, looks best from the front/sides haha :cool:

Anyways, I tried following some guides on the process, mainly I had to figure how hack back off, mount the board and dremel off the cd rom supports to make it fit. One guy I followed has removed the original PSU and implanted a new one in its shell to retain the function and power..

I wish I could have figured a way to keep the original backplate in tact, next time around I might try to run extensions and glue them to the back haha. I could see it working, but then having even more alignment issues especially with the expansion slots being at the top.. Its definitely not the most stable mod and wish I had went with an older G4 with a more traditional back panel..