Shovebox vs. Evernote

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by heyholetsgo, Feb 23, 2011.

1. heyholetsgo macrumors member

Hey Guys
    I am in between Evernote and shovebox to store all these PDFs and Docs and Jpegs I have on my Desktop. Do you have any opinion which of these programs is superior? Evernote does not seem to have this awesome drag and drop feature. Also, I don't think I can syn docs online...

Thanks

2. reubs macrumors 68000

I guess it depends on how simple or complicated you want to go. I think there's no comparison between the two (Evernote hands down), but it all depends on how well you want to catalog what you're throwing in there. If you're looking for something very Mac-like, I think Yojimbo is an option for you.

3. heyholetsgo thread starter macrumors member

But non of those have the feature that you just drag and drop files into an icon in the bar on top of the screen, right? i think that is the coolest feature of shovebox and wouldn't want to give that up. Because as soon as I have to start a program never clean up my desktop

4. reubs macrumors 68000

Ah, I see what you mean. It doesn't look like it; I don't think you can drag and drop something to the menu icon for Evernote, but you can drag it into the app itself. It all depends, though, on how much syncing you want to do, how many places you want to access it, etc.

5. heyholetsgo thread starter macrumors member

Ok, i think I will stick with shovebox. As soon as I have to open a program to clean my desktop I might as well clean up for real... Shovebox is like putting the dirt under the carpet, perfect if you ask me, haha

6. svkrzn macrumors regular

Actually using evernote because it has a freeware version.

7. robertpolson macrumors regular

You should really take a look at Together - http://reinventedsoftware.com/together/

Very easy to use and unlike Evernote it does not lock your files into a database.

Very easy to work with too.

8. Safetorque macrumors newbie

I'm also trying to decide between Evernote and Shovebox. I understand that one can log in to Evernote from any computer but with Shovebox you are restricted to the one computer for access. Is this correct?

9. svkrzn macrumors regular

Yes one computer. I tred shovebox but it's too scheming/simple for me.

10. noxtos macrumors member

noxtos

As Evernote and ShoveBox serve different purposes, which app is best for you depends on what you need it for.

Evernote (and DevonThink, Together, Yojimbo, EagleFiler, and whatnot) are appliations which help you organize your stuff in the long term. Files dropped into one of those applications are meant to remain there forever. Fancy search technology such as tagging or advanced information retrieval methods eases the pain of retrieving them later.

ShoveBox, on the other hand, is a temporary bucket for things that you don't want to deal with right now because it would interrupt your workflow - a web page or an image that you stumble upon while surfing the web or a spontaneous idea that springs to your mind while you are doing something else. If you use ShoveBox correctly, its inbox will be empty by the end of the day or week.

I for one found that ShoveBox is the thing that I need. Had I wanted an app for long term filing, I would have gone with Together because, unlike its competitors, it doesn't move my files to its own database (it only manages refernces to my original files).

A more detailed explanation of the difference between the two kinds of applications can be found in a blog post by one of the creators of ShoveBox.

11. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I use Evernote because it helps me stay organized and not shove everything under the rug, as you say. Plus, having things backed up to the cloud and accessible from whatever computer (or my iPhone) is very useful.

12. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd