Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
Received a 15in 2017 model MacBook Pro for work and loving it. Besides this one little quirk. When attempting to use the "Show All" button within System Preferences it doesn't appear to work at all. Doesn't go back to the main menu when within different settings.

Is there a fix for this? I can't seem to find anything on this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 9.18.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 9.18.55 AM.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 148

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Not seen that, but could be a corrupt preference.

You might try making a new test user account, log in, and see if it behaves the same. If yes, it is a global/system issue. If no, it is a user account issue.

Not sure off the top of my head which pref you would trash to reset this....but I see this as possible candidate:

For user account: /Users/[account name]/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

I don't see a similar pref in /Library, which would be a global (all users) preference, so assuming this is the right pref, there may be no global equivalent.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
OK, well at least it appears to be a global issue. That should rule out everything user specific, which is a big list.

If the app itself has an issue, it may take either a Combo Update, or perhaps Recovery mode to resolve it. Which OS?

I don't think any recent OS will let you swap out the executable, but I wonder if you could swap contents? If you had another Mac of the same OS without the issue, it might be possible to grab the contents of the Sys Pref app. This assumes that the app is the issue....which we don't know yet.

UPDATE: Yes, you can swap contents with an admin account.

Last edited:

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
Sierra 10.12.6 is the OS. Called Apple Support and they recommended a re-install of the OS, so that will be my project tonight.

Don't have another similar Mac to attempt the swap out method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.