Show in finder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Resoman, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Resoman macrumors newbie

I found some music files that I had misplaced on my iMac by doing a search in the Finder. My problem is that I still don't know where they are!
    How can I get the Finder to show me the entire path, so I know which drive they're on, what folder they're in, etc.?
    I'm using Sierra 10.12.5
    Thanks,
    Gary

2. tarsins macrumors 6502

tarsins

3. KALLT macrumors 601

You can also right-click on files and choose ‘Show in enclosing folder’. Alternatively, the Get Info panel shows the path.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It seems to me that posts 2 & 3 require the user to have the folder open that the file is in. The OP cannot find the folder after a search.

The search lists the file, correct? If you click on the file in the list to highlight it, doesn't it show you the path?

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

scroll down in the results list of a searchlight list, then choose "Show all in Finder"
    A smart window will appear, showing all the search results.
    If the found-file is selected in that smart window, you should see the path to the file at the bottom of that search window.
    Or, you can just right-click the file, then choose "Show in Enclosing Folder" - and that takes you directly to the file.