Show itunes song playing on growl from a second mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rmwebs, Apr 19, 2009.

1. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Hi all,

I've done a lot of searching (including round the mac rumors forums) however cant seem to find a solution (or if its even possible) to do this.

Heres what I want to do:

I have my laptop (MBP 15" Unibody) which stores my iTunes library, and plays it out of a 5.1 surround sound system.

Is it possible to have growl (or something similar) notifications on my iMac telling me what song is playing in real-time? Controls, I'm not to bothered about as I've got 2x bluetooth alu keyboards (one for iMac, one for MBP) next to each other.

Thanks for your time.

:apple:

2. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

I know growl has some network support. In what capacity I am not entirely sure.

3. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

Sounds like a cool setup. I know this doesn't answer your question but i'm curious why you keep your music on the portable and not the desktop?

I get that that's just where you want it. But surely you have as much space on the imac as your laptop. Why not just keep a copy of the library on both computers?

4. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

I keep all my 'media' items on the laptop as I regularly use them when out and about. Also, I wanted to keep the iMac as 'clean' as possible. I use it to do a lot of programming and design work so I've always got Photoshop, Coda, Firefox, Safari, VMWare (Windows XP for IE 6 & 7) running. I found that it was becoming slugish when using iTunes....it would take it approx 10 seconds to change a track, even with 3GB RAM (its the White iMac and doesn't support 4GB).

I'll take a look at growl again, I wasn't aware it had network support :)

5. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

Tried the Growl option which didn't work. It just wont send the notifications. I looked around the growl forum and it looks like its a known issue thats not being fixed any time soon -- the reports of it not working go back a few years.

Anyone know of any other solutions?

6. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

7. Asarmago macrumors newbie