Resolved "show keyboard & character viewers in menu bar" - BROKEN??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jimthing, Jun 13, 2016.

1. jimthing macrumors 6502a

jimthing

System Preferences > Keyboard > "show keyboard & character viewers in menu bar" tick box [ticked].

[​IMG]

This will NOT stay ticked, or show in the menu bar.
    If I go back to all sys prefs, or close sys prefs and reopen, it always shows the tick box UNTICKED again, and all the while my menu bar does not show the character OR keyboard viewer either, I just get the flag symbol for my language instead (Brit English).

Also in any app, your supposed to be able to access the character viewer (in the Edit menu > Special Characters) but this does nothing either when tried.

I have trashed the following preference files (at Library > Preferences) and restarted, but they do not get recreated:
    com.apple.CharacterPaletteIM.plist
    com.apple.CharacterPicker.plist
    com.apple.KeyboardViewer.plist

They DO appear in another users account on this machine, and also work when selected in Sys Prefs for that user they appear and work from the menu bar correctly.
    I also tried copying the preference files from this user account back to mine, but the setting would still not work either!

I am completely flummoxed?!
    I thought that if you delete one or more of these Library preference files then they're supposed to be recreated on a restart. But they are not...

Truly any help to get the char & keyboard viewer working again would be really appreciated.

(NB: I'm on Mavericks.)

2. jimthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimthing

OK, so no replies. Great...

I phoned Applecare, they told me to boot into Safe Mode to see if the Char Viewer appeared. It DID! So then rebooted into normal mode and it came back.
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262

So now everybody else at least knows how to fix it.