Show log in screen when waking from sleep - Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by amt2002, Aug 7, 2009.

1. amt2002 macrumors member

Is it possible to have the user account log in screen appear automatically when the computer is woken from sleep (regardless of who was logged in etc when it was put to sleep?).

I know how to get it to ask for a password to 'unlock the screen' but I want the user account menu instead!

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Not that I know of.

You can turn on fast user switching so when it goes to that enter password, you just click a button to go to the log on screen,

-Omi

3. amt2002 thread starter macrumors member

That methods works but it's not as user-friendly as it could be.

Seems like a bit of an oversight not to have this.

4. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I don't know of anybody who would use this,

I also don't think it is possible in any other common OS.

-omi

5. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

in Security Preferences enable asking for your password after sleep/screen saver. a black screen and login window will show instead of the login screen though.

7. amt2002 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

Though I don't see a logical reason for using a black screen and password box there in place of displaying the user account screen. I don't want the constant hassle of always tapping in my password to unlock it. I'd rather just be able to click on my name, likewise for any other users who log on. Keeps it simple.

It's not the end of the world, but could be a little smoother. I think Windows works this way if I'm not mistaken.

8. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

So in otherwords you want to, after you end screensaver, go to a log in screen and click your icon to enter your user account with out typing in your password?

I am not understanding this at all.

-Omi

9. geoff123 macrumors newbie

I think that what you are asking for wouldn't be desirable. The purpose of having to enter your password in order to leave screensaver is to protect the person who was using the computer. If anybody could unlock the computer and enter their own account, they could accidentally or intentionally mess up things the original user was working on. (By rebooting the machine, for example.)

Windows works the same way as Mac, as does the Sun Desktop on Unix.

You can setup the Mac so that it doesn't ask for your password, but just goes back to the desktop if you move the mouse or press a key. With that option, anybody could resume your session and still mess you up, but it would at least be more obvious to them what was happening.