Show me the cases!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Metsfan7450, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

Has anyone heard when we're going to get to see the free cases Apple is offering and when they're going to be available? I heard we're going to get to choose from 3-4 different kinds. Will we be able to pick them up at our local Apple Store or order online or both?

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

During the press conference they said "later next week" so my guess us we'll find out tomorrow.

3. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

4. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

There are so many threads on this already. They should just be merged.

I guess we will have to wait until tomorrow. Spoke to Apple Care yesterday and said by the end of the week. So, that would mean Friday, at the latest. Who knows.

Apple last night updated their website since it went down for a little while. Maybe they were testing the ordering process for the bumpers and cases.

5. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

your precious 40 cents worth of plastic will be here soon enough. patience grasshopper.

6. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

+1

Yeah, that is going to be another issue.

Threads will begin with:

"I placed my bumper/case order, where is it? How long will it take?"

7. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

A legitimate question when you are having the signal issues.

8. jonjames macrumors regular

Definitely not a legitimate question, none of us here have any control of the situation, we don't work for apple, AT&T or the shipping company how could we answer the question intelligently?

9. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

People here can't intelligently answer a lot of the questions posed here and that doesn't stop them from being asked. I see no reason to start being picky with this particular one.

10. bababoey14 macrumors regular

No doubt these "cases" are going to suck and be cheap ones. I'm hoping apple is not dumb enough to try and throw trash at their customers....full expect a big hoopla if they do.

11. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

My guess is that they sent someone in China to run down the street to find the cheapest assortment of crap cases and ordered 2 million of them, all for a penny a piece. And they'll pass those directly onto us.

12. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

If true, this site is much less useful and the hits would go way down.

Agreed.

Let's hope that they don't take the cheap route.

Also, Thursday qualifies as later in the week.

13. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

I agree and disagree. Yes, many of us are experiencing issues with the phone and want it resolved. Solution #1: get a free case. However, you have to understand that Apple may take a while. Steve Jobs himself said they can't make bumpers fast enough and they won't be able to make enough, hence why they are offering cases as well. They need to put a system in place that perhaps already checks who has gotten a bumper/case so that they don't try to load up on free ones. They have to set up the system to also refund people money for purchasing bumpers already. This takes time. Also, once this is set up, it takes time to ship this. How many people do you think are going to request a free case or bumper to alleviate the antenna issue? I would say quite a few. So, it is logical to think and opine that they are going to take a while in shipping these bumpers/cases whether or not people are experiencing issues with their phone. It is just a fact of life.

14. The Dude Abides macrumors newbie

I am thinking the alternate cases Apple will be giving away will be those cheap ones you see at the mall in those little kiosks. :p

-"So...how much are the I4 cases?" (They do not have any prices, mind you)

-(In Indian accent) "$22.00"

-"Ouch...kinda steep. Thanks anyway."

-"Ok...$18.00."

-"What? No thanks."

-"Ok...$12.00"

-"Leave me alone"

-"We also have clear protectors!!"

15. xalex macrumors newbie

hahahaha lol i love this, happened to me the other day, i was looking at cases and the guy goes

- 25$
    -ah ok, well thnks anyways
    -alright man, dont tell anyone but i guess i can knock it down to 15$
    -uhhh, nah thnks.
    -alright man ill give it to u for 10$ and ill give u this screen protector free, come on, im gonna get in trouble with my boss just for you.
    -make it 5$ and ill buy it
    -nah nah i cant go that low, sorry
    -k thnks *walk away*
    -wait WAIT!, 5$

dumbass scammers

16. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

ha ha. so true.

17. nvelker macrumors member

Seriously, you all are behaving like children. Think about business and profits. Those cases may be cheap to manufacture, but they are built that way to be sold for a profit. Which means that on top of the $1 that it takes to manufacture the case, it may cost another $2 or $3 to ship each one across the ocean (that's being modest, shipping costs are so expensive!). Not to mention the profit lost on each case. So let's say it costs a total of $5 to manufacture and ship the cases, and add the profit loss for 3.2 million iPhone 4s. You do the math. 90+ million? That means that apple is just giving away a whole lot of money.

I'm just looking at how things really work. Remember, too, that you are talking about a company who are obsessed with their image and presentation. Apple love shiny well crafted toys. They aren't just going to make us choose crap cases. And what? Take another media hit? No. They will foot the top dollar to get all of the people who have done nothing but complain since day one to shut up.

18. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

i won't even bother...i've heard its going to be 3rd party Bumpers and I've seen what those look like (have one already) so... don't need another one.

19. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Well, they should've thought about this before they even accepted the first preorder or way back when the antenna was designed. There were warning signs that we shouldn't ignore. Where there's smoke, there's fire. And you also have to think about the 99.45% of people who Apple believes are problem-free. Why is Apple "just giving away a whole lot of money" to them? There's more to this story. It don't feel bad for a corporation with $40 billion in cash reserves.

20. AAli1991 macrumors newbie

If that were the case there would be no reason for them to take it down ont he website.

They also had no reason to comment on the number of Apple Bumpers they have if it'll be 3rd party.

Like it's been said before, if they do hand out 3rd party bumpers and crappy cases expect them to lose a lot of customers, regardless of what else happens.