Show me your "classic" MM cooling solutions

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by adam9c1, Oct 22, 2015.

1. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

I have three Mac Minis that will be used for various tasks.

One is a late 2009 2.53 and one is a early 2009 2.0 and one is 2006 or 7 I upgraded the CPU to C2D T7400 2.16 and flashed to 2,1
    On this older unit even simple tasks will get the fan going at a rather high speed.
    I do have the unit connected to a large 1080 monitor so I figure the GPU is working hard.

I already have little rubber plastic spacers on all four corners of each unit.
    I was thinking of drilling some holes in the top case, but I'm afraid this will ruin the vacuum design.

Has anyone tried stick on heatsinks on top of the chassis or bottom?

I am not 100% sure but if all goes well (wiring) the minis will be sitting on metal shelves in a 19" network rack. So here is another alternative to put them upside down or remove the rubber feet and bottom rubber piece.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Drilling holes in the top will impact the airflow and could lead to overheating if you drill in the wrong place.

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Heat sinks stuck on on the upper or lower parts of the plastic case will be worthless - plastic is a poor conductor of heat. I did put four stick on feet on the bottom of my old style Mini case to improve airflow though.

5. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

My MM sits atop 4 metal Shot Glasses at each corner so the natural air can flow on top and below. Also, the MM ports faces in-front of me for easy access to all ports. Of big help is the 256 SSD which keeps very cool under heavy use!