Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascender

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
I've nearly always used my MacBook in clamshell mode when at the office, with everything running off a big screen and an external keyboard, trackpad etc. But obviously with the newer MacBooks and Pros, that's a waste of a very nice retina screen.

So for those of you who use a laptop not-in-clamshell mode, how are your desks setup in terms of position?
  • Laptop dead centre as the main screen, external monitor off to one side?
  • Laptop on a riser, external keyboard and trackpad?
  • Laptop off-centre as a secondary screen?

Thanks!

cforster

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Missouri USA
I've nearly always used my MacBook in clamshell mode when at the office, with everything running off a big screen and an external keyboard, trackpad etc. But obviously with the newer MacBooks and Pros, that's a waste of a very nice retina screen.

So for those of you who use a laptop not-in-clamshell mode, how are your desks setup in terms of position?
  • Laptop dead centre as the main screen, external monitor off to one side?
  • Laptop on a riser, external keyboard and trackpad?
  • Laptop off-centre as a secondary screen?

Thanks!
Lol, I've posted about the same questions. I'd like to use my new 15" rMBP with my dual Thunderbolt displays, but it feels weird so far. The different sizes are thowing me a little off.

BUT

I really want to figure it out and use my new 15" rMBP open to take advantage of the touch bar and Touch ID.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
Personally, I don't like working with multiple screens. If I needed more space, I'd buy a bigger screen with a better resolution.

However, if working with multiple screens is your thing... as said above... multiple different sized screens throws me off.

You might need to think of your Macbook Pro's retina screen as a sort of sunk cost, when using it as a desktop.

Reactions: ascender

CrownVic

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2016
I'm thinking about getting a set up for my MBP. I want a Magic Mouse 2 and a monitor, but i don't know what to get.
[doublepost=1480050982][/doublepost]I'm also thinking about just using my MBP's screen and getting a Magic Mouse 2 and keyboard, but I'd rather get a monitor. Any monitor suggestions? I just want it to be HD, and under 100 bucks

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
I typically used my laptop screen as a secondary messenger/iTunes/video viewer whilst keeping my main activities confined to the larger monitor. I found that didn't really help or solve anything, but that's how I used it for many years.

I've got a post somewhere in the Mac setups thread in the pictures forum with how I used to run my 15". Edit: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...present-part-20.1772959/page-40#post-21395145

It looks nice obviously but again, I'm not sure I really gained much productivity from running a machine like that. I find it much more natural to flip back and forth between 'spaces'.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.