Show Menu Keyboard shortcut!?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by helio1982, Jan 15, 2009.

1. helio1982 macrumors member

Hey,

I've switched to mac very recently and have the following "beginner" question. I was not able to find an answer in any of the guides.

In OS X the Menu Bar is always on the top left. Now, I don't know all the shortcuts yet, so I have to click with my mouse on e.g. "history" (in safari) to find out that "shift" "cmd" "H" brings me back to home.

Now, I don't want to click with my mouse on "history" in order to view the menu. Just as in Windows I want to be able to open the "history" menu with a short cut. In Windows if I pressed "alt" it would underline the letter I would have to press in order to open a certain menu (e.g. "alt" + "f" for file menu).

Please provide me with your wisdom ;-) I'm a real beginner and this would speed up my learning process.

Thx!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can't as far as I know. However, you can assign custom shortcut for any or all applications under the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane and the Keyboard Shortcuts tab.

Don't worry, you'll pick up the shortcuts pretty quick. ;)

3. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

this post expands on the above suggestion -
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1542890&tstart=119

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If you use the bookmarks toolbar, the leftmost (non-removable) button opens the bookmark/history browser as well.

5. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

There is an app that shows this for any open app. Now what was that app called . . . . . . ? :confused:

6. jive turkey macrumors 6502

That app is called KeyCue. I used it for a while and it was fantastic at helping me learn shortcuts, but eventually I had to uninstall it because it kept crashing Firefox any time I'd hit the command key. It was still probably worth the $20 as an educational investment.

7. TheVendor macrumors member