Show more items in grid view?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ramparts, Aug 11, 2008.

1. ramparts macrumors regular

I use the grid view (rather than, say, list or fan) for my apps in the Dock since, well, it's by far the nicest-looking, but I've got a lot of programs and don't want to always have to open Finder or use Spotlight for the programs later in the alphabet. Is there a way (in Terminal, I guess) to increase the area that the grid view displays so I can see all my programs? Many thanks!

2. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

How about pressing CMD + J and reducing the icon size grid spacing while in finder?

3. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

How would I do that? When I CMD+J in the Apps folder in Finder, I don't have the grid spacing option, and when I leave the CMD+J window open and open up the grid view of my apps, the CMD+J window applies to the Desktop...

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

He's not talking about Finder... he's talking about having an Application stack on the Dock. To the OP: I don't think that's adjustable, but you might consider subfolders with aliases, to group similar apps together.

5. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

Well, if I have subfolders then I would have to open up a Finder window to get to my applications, right? Which would kind of defeat the purpose...

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You could create multiple stacks... one for each subfolder. I have one stack for Applications and another for Utilities, which is a subfolder of Applications. Or you could remove some of the aliases for your lesser-used apps.

7. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm...and how would I do the last thing - remove aliases for lesser used apps?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Drag them to the trash... not from your Applications folder... but from your stack. BUT MAKE SURE you're selecting aliases and not apps. Go to your Application folder and make sure the apps are there before emptying your Trash.

OK, it sounds like you might have created your Applications stack by dragging the application folder to your Dock. If this is the case, dragging an icon from the stack to your Trash will delete the app, not just an alias. Since I don't know how you created your stack, here's some steps to follow:

1. Drag your Stack off the Dock to get rid of it (puff of smoke)
    2. Open your Applications folder in Finder
    3. Holding the Command key down, select your frequently-used apps that you want in your stack.
    4. With all of them selected, right-click and "Make Alias"
    5. Sort the Applications folder by Kind, to get all the Aliases together.
    6. Create a new folder on your Desktop called Apps
    7. Drag all the aliases to the App folder
    8. Drag your App folder to the Dock
    9. Now all your favorite apps are on the Dock, in a stack.

Attached Files: