Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nieks

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
The Netherlands
You probably don’t have ankylosing spondylitis though. :).
Most mass produced chairs are not comfortable for me so I’m picky.

Had to google that ;) But no, I do not have that. If you suffer from some sort of arthritis, I can see the need for a different chair. But of course, that case is quite particular and mostly unique to you. In general, these IKEA chairs are way more comfortable than I thought they would be, for people without any spine-/joint-related issues that is. In addition they look great in a light interior :)

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
I thought that the viewing angle and quality of the IPS display is the same as with the 27" iMac. Could you please explain where the difference is? This is very important to me and could be a reason for me not to get the new iMac.
Also, what do you mean with glow? Reflections? Is the display more reflective? I read that it is actually better than on the 27" iMac (with the glossy option).
Thanks
You can google "IPS glow", it probably is similar on the 27", it's just that the corners of the screen become "lighter" based on your head position. Should be less noticeable on smaller screens, or if you keep the screen farther

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Got my silver 4 port/16GB/512GB. Unfortunately I'm not really that impressed in comparison to the kitchen computer late 2015 27" iMac with upgraded SSD it's supposed to be replacing.

IMG_1089.jpeg

It looks very 2000's in the absolute best way possible. The glass Apple logo really takes me back. I don't care if the new MacBook Pro's have a glowing logo as long as it looks just like that!

One question though, Is the the Aluminum darker on the 24 or is it just the angle of the lighting?

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
Thank you. Both are IKEA.
Im UK, but I’m sure they sell it wherever you are.
Desk: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/lillasen-desk-bamboo-90278277/

Chair:

I got very lucky with these. I found the desk on the IKEA website and knew I wanted it and was all ready to go to the store the next day and buy it. The same evening I just happened to check FB Marketplace to see if there were any desks in my area. Someone was selling the exact desk and this chair together for £10 less than the desk on IKEA alone!

So I messaged and it was still available and I picked it up the next day! I’ll admit, I didn’t want the chair as I already had one and it isn’t super comfortable, but he was only selling as a pair and it saves me dragging the chair from my work desk across the room when I sit at my iMac!
Love a bargain! :D
Thank you for helping! Your setup look awesome! I’ve been on the edge about ordering the new iMac. And decided to go ahead and order the M1 pink yesterday. Most of my kitchen area is red and want to setup close to there and I just love the red on the back of the new iMac. My second choice would have been purple.

Reactions: Aneres11

Swehiort

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2015
My setup. Very happy with the performance. I really feel the increased screen real estate.
Placed like this you do unfortunately not really enjoy the nice blue backside :)

Attachments

• 87E234BB-5298-4ADD-895C-A5B96141D964.jpeg
    87E234BB-5298-4ADD-895C-A5B96141D964.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 265

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
My setup. Very happy with the performance. I really feel the increased screen real estate.
Placed like this you do unfortunately not really enjoy the nice blue backside :)

Love the blue. If I purchased the 24" it would definitely be the color I would go with.

Reactions: Jamacfer

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I'll wait until we have....

- More Thunderbolt ports. All my external drives are TB3/4 or USB-C. Two doesn't cut it for me (even when using OWC Thunderbolt 4 hubs). I want a dual bus system and not a single bus for the TB ports.
- Native 10GBe. I currently have to use a TB to 10GBe adapter with my MBP. I want to remove the adapter and plug straight into my network.
- Larger screen. 32" would be lovely!

Currently have a MBP16, which never leaves my desk so I can easily replace with an iMac. Give me the above and I'll purchase!

Reactions: EntropyQ3

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I'll wait until we have....

- More Thunderbolt ports. All my external drives are TB3/4 or USB-C. Two doesn't cut it for me (even when using OWC Thunderbolt 4 hubs). I want a dual bus system and not a single bus for the TB ports.
- Native 10GBe. I currently have to use a TB to 10GBe adapter with my MBP. I want to remove the adapter and plug straight into my network.
- Larger screen. 32" would be lovely!

Currently have a MBP16, which never leaves my desk so I can easily replace with an iMac. Give me the above and I'll purchase!

The size for me as well is the main reason I won't purchase this one.

Reactions: Ifti and Jamacfer

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
After a few days with my purple iMac I am happy to report I am super pleased with it! Coming off an early 2012 iMac it's like my whole life got an upgrade.

I can film and edit videos for my business directly on it without using an external mic and only natural light. Final Cut Pro works seamlessly and renders most of my videos in under a minute.

I haven't heard a peep out of it even when running Zoom meetings and having a bunch of other applications going.

The lavender front and grey bezels make you feel relaxed when you're working. I actually have a hard time leaving my office at the end of the day because I want to keep looking at it.

I sold my iMac a few months ago in anticipation of the new Macs and was doing most of my work on my iPad Pro, so my only complaint with this device is that there isn't FaceID. TouchID on a keyboard feels like regressed technology, but I can deal with that inconvenience for all the other amazing features.

LOL for the last few years, anytime I’ve used an iMac, I’ve wanted to touch the screen. It’s why I’ve never considered having the laptop - I think that would really throw me off. At least with the iMac I tend to adjust after a few days. I know with the laptop, I would probably always struggle.

taphil

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
I thought that the viewing angle and quality of the IPS display is the same as with the 27" iMac. Could you please explain where the difference is? This is very important to me and could be a reason for me not to get the new iMac.
Also, what do you mean with glow? Reflections? Is the display more reflective? I read that it is actually better than on the 27" iMac (with the glossy option).
Thanks
It is similar, but viewing angles seem a bit narrower, similar to 16" MBP. When watching a widescreen movie, the black bars are a lot darker than the 27", which is very nice. But it makes the normal IPS glow in the corners is more visible since the blacks are darker.

The display on my 27" iMac has pink borders all around (seems to be common issue with aging), one of the main reasons I'm replacing it.

alfmoonspace

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
2020 iMac vs 2021 iMac M1. Both are shot on my iPhone 12 Max. You will notice more of a bleed on the M1 and the top left corner has a noticeable area. 2020 5k is a lot more uniform.

Attachments

• IMG_0718.jpeg
    IMG_0718.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0720.jpeg
    IMG_0720.jpeg
    330.6 KB · Views: 287

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I was able to pick one up at the local Apple store today. I recently built a little desk area for it in some wasted space around our living room / kitchen area.

So far I'm very impressed!

Attachments

• PXL_20210609_165338025.jpg
    PXL_20210609_165338025.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 378
  • PXL_20210609_165407334.jpg
    PXL_20210609_165407334.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 381
  • PXL_20210609_165353703.jpg
    PXL_20210609_165353703.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 379

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021
Same reasons that have been mentioned by reviewers and owners:
- LCD viewing angles look a bit narrower
- IPS glow looks worse than 27"
- With max scaling, objects are larger than max scaling on 27" despite same PPI on both LCDs
- Since it's on my kitchen island, I get to see its thinness all the time compared to other setups where the iMac is sitting in front of a wall. The thinness is completely useless and aesthetically meh. I'd rather have a 3cm thick machine with integrated power supply and no chin
- the chin is kinda big
- Speakers really aren't any better or worse than 27," just better highs but worse bass, it's a wash. I think 27" gets louder without distortion compared to 24"
- Pricey
My late 2015 27’ 5K iMac had the screen replaced twice by Apple, 1 year apart for pink tinge around the edge, at the 3rd and 4th year mark, known issue. A tech was sent to my house, it’s worth getting AC+.
2nd one was going ok after another 16 months , just sold it though.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Got my silver 4 port/16GB/512GB. Unfortunately I'm not really that impressed in comparison to the kitchen computer late 2015 27" iMac with upgraded SSD it's supposed to be replacing.

View attachment 1789881
What strikes me, as illustrated here, is how so many are comparing the new 24 with the old 27 as opposed to the old 21.5 the new machine is actually replacing.

For years we were used to it, but seeing them side by side the black bezels of the old 27 are really jarring whereas the bezels of the 24 blend with the silver chassis and the room in the background. And given the way the light bezels reflect the ambient light of the surroundings I suspect it would work just as well in a darkened room. To that end I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the forthcoming bigger iMac, meant as the actual replacement for the current 27, has light coloured bezels. I suspect it would work just fine with either Silver or Space Gray although I’m sure quite more than a few heads around here would still explode.

taphil

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
What strikes me, as illustrated here, is how so many are comparing the new 24 with the old 27 as opposed to the old 21.5 the new machine is actually replacing.
For me and I suspect many people, it's because the old 27" and new 24" are comparable in price. I don't want or need anything bigger than 27" and rumors put the 27" replacement as having a larger screen. Moreover, if it's going to be geared more towards a pro machine that I don't need, it'll come with a pro level price.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Apple eliminated the lowest tier iMac 21.5 ($1399 in Canada) which was really outdated except for finally having an SSD as standard. The lowest tier 24 is $1599 CAN compared to the mid tier 21.5 which was $1699 CAN. The lowest tier 24 can outperform the best 21.5 you could buy. The current 24 line is better in most every way over even the 27 except the best configured 27 and that only in some respects.

When I look at it from a retail perspective AND an informed consumer perspective the 24 is not only a vast improvement over the 21.5 it replaces yet also offers much better value. Indeed unless you absolutely need to have a 27in. screen then the 24 is a much better value over the current 27.

I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect the entry tier of the forthcoming big iMac will be very close to the highest tier 24, following a similar pricing structure as before.

Reactions: artfossil

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I was able to pick one up at the local Apple store today. I recently built a little desk area for it in some wasted space around our living room / kitchen area.

So far I'm very impressed!

Very clean/nice setup. I take it that its more a family-computer for casual use?

Reactions: artfossil
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.