Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upsaker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hello!

I've got a little challenge within a job I will do soon. The customer wants 5 monitors to display a collection of photos, sometimes the same, sometimes different. And they will need to change at the same time. For example, all starting with picture 1, so it will go to picture 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 on each screen, and then go back in picture 1 at all. Got it?

I've found two ways so far. Flickr and iCloud photostream. The problem with Flickr is that the image isn't full resolution, it seems like the apple tv only loads a compressed version. The problem with iCloud is that if I have not changed the picture in a while, it seems like the cache is flushed and it need to download the pictures once more from the internet.

Since it is Atv3, jailbreak is not a possibility. Does anyone know of another way to do this that does not rely on the internet?

I may also be interested in other ways and products I can use.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
You don't have a lot of options. You could create a slideshow:

http://www.wondershare.com/photo-editing-tips/iphoto-slideshow.html

Or you can edit the photos into a video and then start that video on your ATVs.

Ed: I did something similar for trade show displays, I ended up going with the video so that I could more easily customize transitions... then since I was doing a video anyway, ended up incorporating some actual video clips into the presentation. It worked out really well for my purposes.

upsaker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Thanks for your answer. I guess i slideshow will work as a video? Or can I use the forward-button to change picture?

Have anyone tried exporting a keynote to a movie, with slides? In quicktime you can go on whenever you like. Maybe that will work.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The end result is a video either way, just a difference of how you create it. Using iPhoto makes it easier to swap out or rearrange slides vs. iMovie, but with iMovie you have greater visual control. Just depends on your specific needs which is better for you.

Any other application that can export to video will work as well, just optimize your output to the resolution of your ATV (1920x1080 for ATV3, 1280x720 for ATV2) and add the end result video to iTunes so the ATVs can see it on the network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.