iPad Show the iPad 2 some love...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tallgrass, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Tallgrass macrumors member

Tallgrass

I still think the iPad 2 is great. It's thin and light enough for my liking (using it naked helps). I mostly read and surf so the speed is never a problem. No lags no crashes no problems. Like many of you I am enticed by the new iPad mini & iPad 4 but I don't want to give up this great device just yet. Anyone else feel the same?

2. ChristianJapan, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012

ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I also still use my iPad 2; all firmware upgrades goes here first; my son with his sticky fingers can play some games and I also use it for surfing while the iPad 3 get charged. The iPad 2 is not my primary device but still often used.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Perfectly valid machine. It just doesn't make any sense to buy a new one that's now two generations behind at only $100 off cutting edge.

Wife still uses hers, only problem is she cracked the screen and the mall repair kiosk did a wonky repair that left her cellular connection inoperative before they closed up shop and disappeared.

Only options are to take it to more reputable shop who MAY be able to remove the screen and reattach the cell antenna for $99 or replace the screen again after the antenna if they cannot, or her use it around the house as wifi. Pity she's a klutz and they didn't have applecare plus when they came out.

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I have every iPad to date, including the newly released iPad 4.

Personally I'm not addicted to, nor do I sit in awe of the retina display. Oh sure, it's very nice, but despite all the fawning over it by many, it does have it's limitations.

I happen to remain very fond of my iPad 2, precisely for the reason stated above. I use my iPads primarily for viewing the web.

I don't even use them for eBooks as I use a far superior, purpose built e-reader. A Kindle Paperwhite, just one in a long line of kindles I've owned specifically for reading. Something I do a lot of. No tablet to date comes even close to a Kindle for reading.

For research or just surfing the web, it's hard to beat iPad 2.

5. BigTroll macrumors member

I still love the 2 wish I bought a 32 gb unit In the first place so I wouldn't be having to upgrade now.

6. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

I hope you're talking about the iPad! :eek:

7. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I'm going to buy you a pizza.

8. maccompatible macrumors 6502

Nope. People that don't wear clothes are crazy. And only a crazy person would think being naked makes a computer lighter. :p

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree with you, OP. ipad 2 continues to have many advantages. getting that retina display forced a lot of other comprises - heat, weight, thickness, battery life, charge time. I plan to keep my iPad 2 until they release one (not a mini) that at least matches the iPad 2 in most if not all of those areas. Not saying iPad 2 is better, but to upgrade at a substantial cost, I want everything to be at least on par, not two steps forward, one step back.

10. LaurieAnn macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

There is only one iPad in our home. It's the iPad2. There is nothing on the 3rd generation we must have.