Show Thumbnails on Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Sdashiki, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Ive googled but maybe im not coming up with the right keywords.

Id like thumbnail previews on the desktop, like within folders in Windows XP.

I cant, for the life of me, find any check box to allow this?

Untitled-1.jpg
    thanks

2. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Select Desktop -> cmd+j -> show icon preview

Unless I've misunderstood what you're after.

3. lamadude macrumors 6502

click on your desktop (so that finder appears in the menu bar) and go
    view-->view options--> show preview

(I translated these menu items from the dutch mac os x, maybe the wording is slighly different in the english one)

4. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Too bad the OP is not using Mac OS X. I don't think there is a way to make it always display with the thumbnail in Windows XP. I think you can only do that within folders.

5. LeviG macrumors 65816

unless theres a registry hack or plugin I'm not awar of xp can not show thumbnails on the desktop.

Xp isnt designed the same as os-x in that it isn't adviseable to have all the files on the desktop, it slows the os down on load up etc.

6. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Menu Bar > View > Show View Options > place a check mark in Show icon preview.

7. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I took it he is using OS X but wants icon previews to be displayed as they are in Windows. Using the screen grab as an example.

Admittedly the screen grab did throw me off a bit by the fact the icons do not have thumbnail previews enabled. He very well may have been talking about enabling this in Windows in which case I have no clue.

8. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Ya, its windows, the image capture should have made that obvious.

occasionally on a project i create lots of stupid images that i end up embedding into the project. but they have a short life on the desktop where its easiest to find and save things when using 3 or more apps at one time.

though sometimes, something needs to be re-used, and as a matter of convenience it would be nice to see with a quick glance which file is which.

maybe i just need to slow down my workflow and name files i have no intention of keeping.

sigh.

::hugs my mac from across town::