Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pointandclick

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
I guess I'll post mine to atone for littering the thread with comments.:p
networklb1.jpg

This was just thrown together.
The I need to get the file server running again, and the Xbox is downstairs w/o a connection at the moment.
I haven't got my gig switch back from my friend either, so it's currently the second netgear wireless router I use at school with disabled DHCP.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Well it wouldn't work so well for me. We've got a router (Netgear something or other, it's got like 6 internal aerials to be good or something), an iMac and regular home built PC in one room. iMac and PowerBook in my room. 360 in my bros room, Wii in the upstairs living room. Oh and another laptop.

3 DS's, 2 PSP's and iPod Touch 16gb floating around the house. *ouch* one just flew into my head.

Picture done after all.

Attachments

• netwurk.PNG
    netwurk.PNG
    29.5 KB · Views: 327

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
Mine is simple. DSL into a westell modem, into a Apple Express. A lazer printer tied into the Express so my macBook can get wireless internet and wireless print. Thats it :p

Sethable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
I love how people have been making animations showing their networks.

I was expecting pictures :) either way good work everyone haha

pointandclick

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Well it wouldn't work so well for me. We've got a router (Netgear something or other, it's got like 6 internal aerials to be good or something), an iMac and regular home built PC in one room. iMac and PowerBook in my room. 360 in my bros room, Wii in the upstairs living room. Oh and another laptop.

3 DS's, 2 PSP's and iPod Touch 16gb floating around the house. *ouch* one just flew into my head.

Picture done after all.

Nice:cool: I think you win lol

It's hard to take a picture of the network if you have machines in different locations and multiple routers/switches. I could take a pic of where most of my stuff is, but it's a mess.:p

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
110yywi.jpg

whoa! talk about a crash course in seashore.. i was a noob but now i learned about a revolutionary new thing.. "layers" ;)

edit: this isnt including things like my ipod or wii..

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
whoa! talk about a crash course in seashore.. i was a noob but now i learned about a revolutionary new thing.. "layers" ;)

edit: this isnt including things like my ipod or wii..

I'm let down. I'm let down because I don't see a drawing of you looking over your network and feeling accomplished.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I love how people have been making animations showing their networks.

I was expecting pictures :) either way good work everyone haha

Yeah, well, like pointandclick said, home networks aren't usually very photogenic. Taking actual *pictures* of my network equipment would just be sticking the camera into corners under desks and the backs of closets and you *might* get a glimpse of a switch through all the wires ;)

I used to have a rack, complete with 24-port 2U switch and a 6U server case, but I ditched that long ago because it took up too much room.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
2741307904_5a277f55b1.jpg

Somewhere among those flashing lights is a Netgear Ethernet switch hardwired into a D link wireless g router in another room. Two G4s, two P4s, and the beginnings of an Intel core 2, although the processor hasn't been settled on yet.

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2004
Some of these setup are crazy. I presume you folks have families right and you're not trying to setup the Internet 2.0? :)

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I have:

Virgin Media 20mbps Cable ---> Modem ---> FreeBSD (Celeron 900, 768mb Ram)
O2 16mbps ADSL ---------> DSL Modem --> (Smart Routing on FreeBSD 6.3)

x2 HP ML110 G5 Xeon Servers each with 4TB HDD and 4gb RAM one running Windows 2003 Server and one running FreeBSD 7.0

x3 AMD XP 2400+, 2GB RAM Computers running XP Pro SP2
x1 Intel Quad Core, 4gb RAM, Computer running Vista Ultimate SP1
x1 Apple Powermac G5 Dual 1.8 OSX 10.5
x1 Macbook Pro 10.5, x1 Powerbook 10.5, x1 Macbook 10.5 + x2 HP Business Laptops running XP PRO SP2

x1 PS3, x1 Wii, x2 iPod Touch, x3 Nokia N95's
x2 Airport Express, x3 Netgear Business Wifi Access Points

I have a Buffalo Bridge between mine and my mates house, he has a laptop and a PC running off my internet connections

Torrents go over O2 and Web Browsing/Gaming go over my Cable connection.

One of the laptops is a work laptop i use to work from home over business VPN.

balofagus

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
In continental Europe the ',' and '.' are swapped with the way America does it.

Eight thousand = 8.000
Eight point two = 8,2

Do you really say "8,2 = eight point two"? Because commas don't really look like points. I can just see school children marking enormous commas as "points on a graph". Haha! Must be something that just seems normal when your taught it that way, but personally, I would laugh. :p

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Do you really say "8,2 = eight point two"? Because commas don't really look like points. I can just see school children marking enormous commas as "points on a graph". Haha! Must be something that just seems normal when your taught it that way, but personally, I would laugh. :p

In the UK we do it the same as America and most of Canada (do the French Canadians copy the French?).

The left hand side was how America/Canada/We(UK) would say it and the right was how the continental Europeans would write it. I see how that was confusing now!

Edit: Not sure if this is common usage in Canada but continental Europe is France, Germany, etc.

balofagus

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I think one of us is confused... probably me. Haha

I got the Left = Canada/US/UK Saying and right = Continental Europe Writing. But I was wondering if Continental Europeans say eight point two when they write 8,2?

It's just that I thought point was always a dot, wouldn't kids get confused when a point on a graph or a line is a dot, but a decimal point is actually a comma? Lol, I pretty much made way more out of it than was necessary.

Edit: Oh, and I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone say "Continental Europe" before, but I did understand it. More often its "The UK" and "Europe", like your not actual Europeans. Haha!

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
I think one of us is confused... probably me. Haha

I got the Left = Canada/US/UK Saying and right = Continental Europe Writing. But I was wondering if Continental Europeans say eight point two when they write 8,2?

It's just that I thought point was always a dot, wouldn't kids get confused when a point on a graph or a line is a dot, but a decimal point is actually a comma? Lol, I pretty much made way more out of it than was necessary.

Edit: Oh, and I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone say "Continental Europe" before, but I did understand it. More often its "The UK" and "Europe", like your not actual Europeans. Haha!

Just searched and they say "point" for '.' and "virgule" for ','.

balofagus

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
So, just to finish this divergent conversation I want a clarification on a little dialogue.

Teacher:
What is ten divided by 4?

My Answer:
two point five

Little German Boy's Answer:
two virgule five

Is that how it would go down? And I thought a virgule was another word for a slash
not a comma
I'm glad I didn't move to Europe halfway through my schooling :eek:.

balofagus

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Well, that was fun, and sorry to this thread. Apparently French Canadians use the "virgule" too. I knew they put the dollar sign on the other end of prices, but the comma I've never noticed before...

This was also very useful. Apparently the comma, period (full-stop), and even interpunct debate has caused some heated discussions.

Sorry again, back to Network pics/diagrams.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.