"Show Your Desktop" Icon/App.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Favenris, May 21, 2010.

1. Favenris macrumors member

I know that there is an "icon" or application to show either your Dashboard or "Expose" your windows, but I'm looking for something that will display my desktop. What I mean by that is doing what 3 fingers down on a MacBook Pro does.

I understand that I can mark such option on my keyboard, or assign a button on my external mouse to do it, but I'm looking for something similar to "Expose" found in Utilities and "Dashboard" found in Applications. An icon, an application, something to click.

Any help?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What's wrong with F11 (or Fn+F11, depending on your setup)?

3. Favenris thread starter macrumors member

I've considered that, but when I'm intensely focused on my work, and adding things to iTunes from folders in my desktop, it is much more convenient to just click something on my "left position dock" which will push away all other windows.

Plus, I'm sure there's something out there. If there's an application for both Expose and Dashboard, one for Show Your Desktop shouldn't be far off.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can easily add a "hot corner" to activate that command, so just moving your mouse into the corner does it. Nothing to click. Just a simple mouse movement. It's not an application; it's a command.
    Picture 135.jpg

5. Favenris thread starter macrumors member

I've known that as well, but I still would very much prefer an icon or application. Something I can put on my Dock.

EDIT: I started playing around with "hot corners", and you know what? I think I might like this better than something on my Dock. Thanks. However, if anybody still knows how to make an application out of it, it would be appreciated as well.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Again, it's NOT an application. It's a keyboard command that's built into and a part of Mac OS X.

7. Favenris thread starter macrumors member

What about Expose and Dashboard? They both have icons and can be placed into the Dock. Are they not considered applications either? What I was looking was something similar to that, an icon of some sort.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There isn't one.

9. Favenris thread starter macrumors member

That's what I found by myself, but I wondered if I made a thread in here if somebody could prove me otherwise.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Making threads doesn't change how Mac OS X operates. If showing the Desktop were treated the same way as Expose and Dashboard, there would be an app in the Applications folder already. It's simply not the same.

11. Favenris thread starter macrumors member

Of course making a thread doesn't change the operating system, but what it does do is open avenue for discussion. Just because it is something beyond your knowledge GGJstudios, it doesn't mean it doesn't, or can't, exist.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a matter of what's "beyond my knowledge". It's fact. There IS no "Show Desktop" application in Mac OS X. It's a keyboard command. You can argue all you want, but you can't change that fact. You can continue the argument on your own. You asked for help. I gave you a completely factual answer. If you don't like the answers, you shouldn't ask the questions. :rolleyes:

13. Lola M macrumors member

I have been using Spaces instead. Is pretty much the same thing, you will have a clean desktop view.