Show Your iPad Gear for Audio Production

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Explicit Content, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Explicit Content macrumors member

Hey.

I was wondering how the macrumors community's audio production gear on iPad look like?

Can you show your equipments with any pictures? And it's pros and cons? Maybe a record from it?

I am a guitar player and thinking about buying an interface for using my iPad Mini 3 as a recorder and amplifier. The idea behind the topic is taking opinions and we can create a good topic here just like "show your ipad drawings" topic.

Thank you.

I know there's a digital audio section but the iPad forum is more active and it would be nice if it can stay here.

2. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i too am a guitarist and tried seriously getting into AmpliTube at one stage. It was ok and all that, but i very quickly went back to my trusty old valve amp and a couple of nominal pedals only. found the sound and experience much more satisfying.

call me old fashioned :p

3. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

I've only used voice memos to record band practice, and GarageBand for the handclap sound for our cover of "Let's Go" by The Cars.

Edit: I tried the new music memos app, and found it doesn't use the same microphone limiter as voice memos so band recordings sound much worse in music memos than it does in voice memos. I was quite bummed about that.

4. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

I've been using amp modelers on my basic 16Gb iPad Air 1 for a few months now. I think the inexpensive price of those apps with their huge variety of sounds and capabilities make them a great buy, and they can sound fantastic. I have several installed but mostly use Positive Grid apps. Even the vast array of amps in GarageBand make for some fun practice sessions.

I use a super simple setup. My current signal chain is,

Guitar->Apogee Jam96->iPad->Headphones or Jawbone Jambox

I'll soon be changing that setup to,

Guitar/iPad Pro->Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3)->Alto TS212(s)

The only guitar amp I own is a Fender Mustang III solid state modeling amp. It's fine when using presets, either factory or downloaded, but it's horrible for playing amp sims through (even when bypassing the amps modeling by going through the Fx Return). Playing through a good tube amp is fantastic but I also really enjoy the vast array of sounds I can manipulate using amp and pedal modelers while recording straight into the iPad (Auria).

5. Explicit Content thread starter macrumors member

@sjleworthy I didn't play on any valve amps yet but i always read they are amazing amps. What model do you have?

@PBG4 Dude That's weird.

@Codeseven Hey show us your current setup!

6. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

Got a 25 year old USA Strat and a Fender Blues Junior amp.

7. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

[QUOTE @Codeseven[/USER] Hey show us your current setup![/QUOTE]

Currently it's so basic there's nothing to show off , just a guitar, iPad and headphones/speaker. Once I get the new components I'd be more than happy to post a pick.

Going from iPad Air 1 to an iPad Pro, simple Jam96 to USB 3 Audio Interface and mini speaker to 1100watt FRFR (full range flat response) Powered Loudspeakers should be quite the eye opener.

8. Explicit Content thread starter macrumors member

So what would you suggest for making practice on iPad mini 3 with guitar?

9. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Just a basic setup.

An analog (guitar signal in) to digital (gigital signal out) converter that's connected between your guitar and your iPad.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig2/

Use GarageBand for your amps. (or download some very inexpensive amp modeling apps)

Listen with earbuds, headphones or a mini speaker.

10. Explicit Content thread starter macrumors member

What do you think about apogee jam 96k ?

11. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

That's the one I use but it costs twice as much as the iRig and unless your recording allot I doubt you could hear any difference between the two to be honest.

12. Explicit Content thread starter macrumors member

If i want to get some records i should go with 96k then ?

13. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Not completely necessary at this point, the iRig works fine for recording. But later if you start to get into recording and your other components are higher quality then you'll want to keep your signal chain consistent by including a higher quality device like a Jam96 or full on audio interface.