Shower me with your collective wisdom and help me choose!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crispynoodles, Aug 22, 2011.

1. crispynoodles, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2011

crispynoodles macrumors newbie

Well guys, a new semester for me is starting soon and I've just about had it with my POS dell. It hasn't worked for me for the past year so I've saved up quite a bit of money for a new laptop. However, I do have a few questions that I hope many of you could answer. I've recently changed majors (design) and the computer requirements are as follows:

Suggested Minimum Computer System Specs:
    System Specs: • Pentium Four 2.2GHZ Dual Core Processor and Faster
    • 4GB RAM or More
    Laptop:
    • Macbook Pro with Windows or PC, 15” Screen or Larger • Dedicated Nvidia or ATI Graphics Card 512MB Memory or More
    - Industrial Design- Nvidia only
    • PC or Macbook Pro with External 24” Monitor • Dedicated Nvidia or ATI Graphics Card with 1GB on board Memory
    - Industrial Design- Nvidia only

Even though the minimum requirements say a 15" screen or larger, I wonder is it possible that I work with a 13" screen when running programs like AutoCAD, Adobe CS5, 3D Studio Max, Solidworks, Alias, etc?

So the options I gave myself were either a base 13" MBP or high end 15" because I read that the extra money for a high end 13" would not be worth it. Which would you choose? If you chose the 15", would you get hi res glossy or matte?

Price wise, I can get the student discount & a $100 gift card when buying from Apple or should I buy from other sites like Amazon / B&H Photo where they do not charge tax or shipping?

Thanks!

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

From the Graphics requirements, only the 15/17" MacBook Pro will be adequate...anything lower doesn't have a dedicated graphics chip.

As far as Glossy vs Matte, it really depends on the person, but if you are going to be working outside at all, you will definitely be happier with Matte.

Do you know why they require Windows? Because that is an added expense unless you get it for free from school or already have it.

3. willieva macrumors 6502

If you're going to get an external monitor then a 13" mbp would be fine. If not then working on a 13" screen will be frustrating. The 15" high res screen is worth the money if it's going to be what you're working on. And matte is very nice if you are going to be using it as a laptop and can't control the lighting around you.

However I'd recommend seeing whether most people around you are using pc's or mac's and get that. If you're the only one using a mac you won't be able to get help and it's possible that sharing files could be problematic.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I would go with a 15", ever since I switched from a 13" to a 15" screen I have decided to never go back to anything smaller. It just makes everything better in my opinion, especially if it's high res.

Now, if you really want the 13" then definitely invest in an external monitor. Using design programs on that small of a screen is going to be a pain

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Every 'design' app has a million tool palette windows that will fill a 13" screen and won't leave any room to work. If you only use that screen to take notes, and do all your design work on an external monitor, then go for it. Otherwise, the 15" with the hi-res screen add-on (like $50 extra) is the way to go. You can never have too many pixels.