Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 12.9" IPP replaced both your smaller iPad and laptop or just one or the other?

• It replaced both for me.

Votes: 34 46.6%
  • Just replaced my laptop

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Just replaced my smaller iPad

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • The premise of your argument is nuts so i can't really answer the poll.

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • Other (I commented below)

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Duh. That's why they said laptop replacement and not iPad replacement.

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Scrolling a website with the scroll wheel alone is worth it compared to constantly touching the screen.

What about arrow keys on the external keyboard? I believe they should scroll the page up and down? I also think there are shortcuts for jumping up and down a page, too.

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
Hmmmm. This is weird, because the 12.9 iPad has basically replaced my laptop (I still keep an iMac), but I don't think of it as a laptop. For me, it's just the best iPad, period. Sure, it's not as portable as the smaller iPads, but that's about the only drawback of the 12.9. Everything else is better with a larger screen. Web browsing is better, reading documents is better, note taking is better, watching videos is better, games graphics are gorgeous, and the kinds of games I like to play don't require on-screen controls or tilting, so the size of the iPad doesn't interfere with the experience.

Sure, there are some limitations of iOS that are annoying -- the other day, someone sent me email with five attachments that I needed to save to Dropbox, and it was very annoying to have to save them one by one! But those annoyances are minor compared to the convenience of being able to work anywhere I happen to be. The 9.7 was good for doing work in a pinch, when something needed to be done urgently, but for regular work I went to my iMac or laptop. But the experience on the 12.9 is better than my laptop, and while the iMac is better at multitasking, and things like saving multiple attachments at once, to use the iMac I have to sit at my desk, which is in a different room from my TV. The iPad lets me work in the commercial breaks between the various sports and news programs we watch, and I've actually become more productive, because all those little 5 minute chunks of time that I'd been wasting before do add up. And I never managed to do this with laptops and with smaller iPads, but I do manage to do this with the 12.9 iPad. I do realize that some people manage to do work with laptops or with smaller iPads, and for them the 12.9 iPad doesn't do anything better. But for me, the 12.9 is the first device that makes me feel like it's a natural thing to work from my living room sofa. No other device has felt like this before.

You make great points. By that statement, I meant. When considering iPad for what they were created - an 'in between' companion device - the 12.9" pro does not excel. It's not a companion. It's a thing of it's own. When you consider it for what laptops are traditionally praised for/used for - OS X or Windows style operating- it doesn't do that well either.

On it's own if you don't need a laptop and aren't looking for it to to be every room device it's perfect in everyday, but in one's current ecosystem, it's hard to figure out where it goes. It can't quite replace your laptop and can't quote replace your (smaller) tablet. Of course that just for me.

What I like about the larger pro is that it's so immersive. I love that everything jumps out at you. You definitely don't get that with a laptop or smaller tablet. The screen size and the fact that I can "touch type" on it are also pluses. It's a great iPad! I wish it did just a bit more for when I needed laptop functionality and also could be folded in half (lol) for when I was on the go.

I may get my own when the 12.9 Pro 2 comes out. maybe by then my work situation won't require browser based systems and I can use it without wishing for me.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
When considering iPad for what they were created - an 'in between' companion device - the 12.9" pro does not excel. It's not a companion. It's a thing of it's own.

You are right that the 12.9 is no longer trying to be the "in between" device Jobs characterized the iPad as at its original introduction, and is in many ways trying to replace a laptop. For me, it just manages to cross the threshold into actually replacing my laptop, but I can see that for many people, it is tantalizingly close but not quite there (of course there are people for which it is not even close). I do think that Apple will keep adding features and functions to iOS, and also that the world will adapt, so things like browser based systems that currently don't work with iOS are modified to work, or are phased out and replaced with other solutions. I think each year, the number of people who find that iPad can replace their laptops will increase. But just like iPhones aren't Blackberrys, iPads won't become laptops. It's a different thing.

Reactions: Jasmynp

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Sadly they are only usable for remote sessions. After working with my X1 mouse I often catch myself trying to use it with IOS Apps.....Scrolling a website with the scroll wheel alone is worth it compared to constantly touching the screen.
Curious as to how this works. Does RDP access and share the Blue Tooth of the iPad? So really it is the remote terminal getting mouse input directly?

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
Good evening everyone. Yesterday I had a genius appointment at the Apple store in the Forum shops here in Vegas.
I got there an hour early because I was leaving during rush hour traffic. I checked in and there was nobody ahead of me so an associate named Chris started training me on using iCloud drive. This guy was amazing. He really knew his stuff and helped me get both my mac and my phone synced.
The whole point is because I have my iPP waiting for me in Idaho and wanted to be able to get it set up on the one day that I will be home. This is going to be really great because the iPad WILL be able to replace my MBP from day one.
Since the iPhone 3, I found that everything was super easy compared to the old flip phones, but as pages were made available as well as iCloud, I just wanted to stay in my comfort zone and not worry about the NEW software. But boy, am I happy that I took the time to get basic instruction.
On one hand, the 12.9 is really big as an iPad, but on the other hand, it will be about perfect as a laptop replacement. I also love the split screen.
The screen blows away my 2009 mac, the speakers sound fabulous it weighs only 1.5 pounds. What more could I hope for.
Next, will be the keyboard MAYBE. The virtual keyboard is HUGE, but I am not sure yet if I want to go completely touch screen, or use the pencil as a pointer then type on the keyboard. Only time will tell.
Anyway, I just wanted to share my first impressions, and will get back after actually using it and getting used to all the features.
Cheers, Pete

Last edited:

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
Good evening all. So I am using my iPP finely and am so far loving it. Just updated to 9.3 and had to reset up the iPad. But no big deal.
I am noticing somethings peculiar however. Whenever I double tap the space bar, instead of the caps coming on, the shift lights up. Is that normal? It seems kind of strange to me but if anyone can chime in, I would appreciate it. Wait, I am noticing that the shift is working like a single capital letter. That is ok.
So, I have set up my iCloud Drive and so far I really like it. Question to all out there, since my iPad doesn't have a driver in it like my mbp, is there anyway to scan documents from my hp AirPrint printer right into documents? In the past, I would scan to my desktop, then save as a pdf to my desktop. Then from my mail, attach that folder into my mail. That is looking like a bit of a bottleneck as I get up and running. Thank to any that can advise.
Now on to the rest. As I have read before, this 12.9 inch beast isn't terribly portable as would the 9.7, but I am still loving it. I just need to get the Apple keyboard as it looks very slim and functional. The Logitech looks nicer, but there are several reviews that say it scratches the glass on the iPad. Also, it looks thicker than the apple.
Next, the speakers on this are a beast..try setting the eq to base boos and sit back and enjoy. This is SUPER thin, and seems al out fragile compared to my mbp, but I guess I'll just have to SUFFER. Lol.
So this is my first review and I'm chicken pecking this on the iPad. I have completely left my Mac at home so I wouldn't use it as a crutch as I learn. BUT I DID FORGET TO SYNC all my music. GRRR
That's all for now,
Pete

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
This is SUPER thin, and seems al out fragile compared to my mbp

Yes, which is why I got a back cover on mine. Apple's back cover is expensive, but you can get good ones from Amazon for around $10-20.

I don't scan stuff, so I'm not the best person to offer advice on this, but I know there are apps that let you use the iPad camera to "scan" documents. Maybe you could look into that.

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
Yes, which is why I got a back cover on mine. Apple's back cover is expensive, but you can get good ones from Amazon for around $10-20.

I don't scan stuff, so I'm not the best person to offer advice on this, but I know there are apps that let you use the iPad camera to "scan" documents. Maybe you could look into that.

Thank you. I do use turbo app because at time my printer and Mac decided they were no longer friends. But I am looking to make the iPad my full computer if possible.
While I'm here, any guesses as to why when I go to split screen, the only one I get as my second I'd iCloud? Thx

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thank you. I do use turbo app because at time my printer and Mac decided they were no longer friends. But I am looking to make the iPad my full computer if possible.
While I'm here, any guesses as to why when I go to split screen, the only one I get as my second I'd iCloud? Thx

Er, what do you mean, you only get iCloud as your second screen? You are not seeing a list of app icons when you swipe in from the right? Then... Ok let me get a pic.
mt_10.jpg

See that little black tab at the top of the secondary app on the right? Pull down that tab and you get the list of apps you can use in split screen.

Oh, and hp appears to have apps to let you control their wifi printers/scanners from the iPad.

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
Er, what do you mean, you only get iCloud as your second screen? You are not seeing a list of app icons when you swipe in from the right? Then... Ok let me get a pic.
mt_10.jpg

See that little black tab at the top of the secondary app on the right? Pull down that tab and you get the list of apps you can use in split screen.

Oh, and hp appears to have apps to let you control their wifi printers/scanners from the iPad.

Grrrr, a bit of a newbie here I just watched a YouTube vid and realized what I was doing wrong.
I'll go look at the newer hp apps to see what I might be able to use thx

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Grrrr, a bit of a newbie here I just watched a YouTube vid and realized what I was doing wrong.
I'll go look at the newer hp apps to see what I might be able to use thx

No problem, iPad does take some getting used to. Things can be very different from desktops. Keep asking questions if you have any. Glad to help where I can. ;)

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
My iPhone 6 Plus nows feels tiny after playing with this iPad and the sound from the iPhone is like barf without headphones

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
I like apps and what is available there that is not on a laptop. The world is going mobile os.

For me I found while owning my iPad mini, I would fire up my laptop and do my routine... Stay with me haha, mail, social networking like Facebook, Twitter, then go on forums and possibly my one PC online game I have lost interest in.

iPad? Well it was my mini even since getting the 12.9" pro I do this,

Mail, Facebook, Twitter, going further to Instagram and vine. See? Then forums then enjoyable mobile games on a huge pro screen.

Why boot up a laptop? My only reason now is rare photo editing from raw, transferring files to iPod and my work Nexus 7 2013 I use to series view.

Too much hassle to fire up a laptop now when my 12.9" pro has the screen and power to do 95% of what I need daily.

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2013
As much as I love mine, there are still a few things I would need to make this a rMBP replacement.

A proper web inspector, Swift Development on IOS, a full photoshop, InDesign or equivalent magazine designer, Replace lighting with USB C 3.1 and actually support drivers and hopefully steam supporting native streaming through their app instead of needing to use Moonlight.

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
Just to be clear: the 12.9" Pro can only replace my MacBook Pro because I have a high end desktop PC for any serious work, as well as a Thinkpad.

The dream that the Pro can be your only computer is a long long way away.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I didn't see an option for this in the poll. The iPad pro replaces neither my laptop nor my iPad mini.

I got the 12.9" iPad pro primarily for my work teaching, as a virtual white board (using the pencil). I also use it as a math notebook.

Most of my books are available on my iPad mini 4, which is the perfect size for slipping into my suit jacket pocket and carrying everywhere for me.

My laptop is my primary device for creating content that doesn't require writing with the pencil. I use Filemaker pro and a technical word processor on it.

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
The 12.9" iPad Pro has replaced my laptop (finally died Macbook Pro) for travelling and working away from home. I can accept and work around a few OS-X apps that are not (yet?) suitably covered by iOS apps. But has not replaced my iMac for main working at home. Neither has it fully replaced my old smaller iPad which I still use mainly for Kindle books as it is lighter to hold. So not quite sure how to answer such a survey - yes and no!

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
Can anyone help me please? I'm learning how to creat document on my iPad 12.9 and am doing pretty well. However I am having a bottle neck saving 3 separate documents as a PDF, Then attaching all three into an email and sending to the company. Any help would be appreciated. I have figured out how to save a single document as a PDF, just not several at a time.
Thanks for any help. Pete

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
Can anyone help me please? I'm learning how to creat document on my iPad 12.9 and am doing pretty well. However I am having a bottle neck saving 3 separate documents as a PDF, Then attaching all three into an email and sending to the company. Any help would be appreciated. I have figured out how to save a single document as a PDF, just not several at a time.
Thanks for any help. Pete

Save them to PDF expert app, then attach from mail

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.