Showering w/ series 0

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by eclipse01, Mar 6, 2017.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I know its not as water resistant as series 2, but just curious i anyone on here showers with theirs on with no issues?

2. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I don't shower with mine. But plenty of forum members have without issue and others have experienced failures after so many showers. Perhaps @Julien can comment further on this. I believe he stated he has over 500 showers with his first Gen Watch on.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

About 600 times by now and have ran in every kind of precipitation and even extreme trail running (mud). Swam a few times and have washed my car many times.

4. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Any experienced issues with yours?

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Only the speaker will sometimes be muted/attenuated/distorted during and for a few minutes after. As an added bonus the Digital Crown has never even been the slightest bit sticky.

6. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

That's impressive after 600 showers, etc. I thought you would be the most suitable forum member to contribute to this thread.

7. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Am I remembering wrong, or was it advertised as "splash resistant"? If that's the case, then unless you submerge it and let the pressure affect it, showering shouldn't hurt it.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Phrases like "splash resistant" are subjective and only ratings are objective. Here is what happens if you submerge it to 40M (130').

9. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

True that - true that. As with the Apple Watch Series 2, it appears to have been built above specification when it comes to water resistance, but I'd still advise against prolonged submersion. I don't really think it'll harm, but in case it does, you have technically exceeded what I'd say was the promise. Splash means water - not constant pressure from water. But showering should definitely be a-OK

10. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Wow, thanks everyone!

I guess I was more woried about soaps hitting it more then the water

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I showered with my original Apple Watch everyday from 4/29/15 -> 2/16/17 (659 days). I had also used my watch in the hot tub and other shallow water. Never a single problem. And now on another first gen watch since 2/18/17 without issue. (Watch was replaced for battery failing).

There are people, that have had water damage due to improper gluing on the top of the screen. As long as the device is still under warranty, water damage is covered. I had a watch that had the gluing defect and cause the screen to go black after rinsing it under the sink after a workout. (The original replacement for the battery defect) But that was 100% covered as it was a manufacturer defect.

12. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

<--- Rinse mine off nearly every day that I wear it.

13. GoSUV macrumors member

With my S0 SS, I occasionally rinse mine with soap and under a mild running tap (not blasting it) to try to clean things up - especially in the summer when you tend to sweat a lot. Never had a problem.

14. nfl46 macrumors 603

Yep, I shower with my SS Series 0 all the time. No problems, whatsoever.

15. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I've showered with mine a couple of times, although I stopped doing it after I saw someone post on this forum that their Apple watch eventually got water damage from showering with it.

16. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

Unless you use the sport band, it's highly not possible.

17. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Those were my thoughts as well. The First Gen Watch is splash resistant rated at IPX7. With the gluing issues and water damage not covered, I didn't want to take the risk. Although, many forum members have had zero issues with showering with their Apple Watch.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Water damage is covered. That's been covered many times before.

Edit: I should note as long as the device is still under warranty.

19. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Exactly. If it's under warranty. Most first Gen Watches likely are out of warranty.

20. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Correct. AppleCare+ will be expiring at the end of next month for launch day owners, such as myself.

But with the gluing issue being a known manufacturer defect, I'm sure Apple Support or Customer Relations would willing to work with the customer, even if AC/AC+ is expired.

21. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I agree with this. The gluing issue was a defect on Apple's behalf and they have worked with customers to remedy the situation. I read where you received a replacement because of this issue. It's good to know Apple is aware the defect.

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yeah they sent it out same day no questions asked. They were super apologetic about it. But I was shocked that it had the issue to begin with. It had a manufacturer date of Jan 2017 and came with 3.1 installed. So the fact that they are still making units that have the defect is shocking.

23. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

That is pretty surprising, yes. You'd assume that when they're aware of it, and have taken steps to replace affected models, that they'd fix it for any models manufactured going forwards

24. 4451 macrumors newbie

Bought my S0 at launch and shower with it several times per week without issue. In fact I've been pretty abusive and wear it like my previous rugged waterproof watches and it has held up like a champ. I do remove it when I get in the pool and particularly the ocean.

25. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't shower with even my series 2 lest I damage it on the tiles.