Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I know its not as water resistant as series 2, but just curious i anyone on here showers with theirs on with no issues?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don't shower with mine. But plenty of forum members have without issue and others have experienced failures after so many showers. Perhaps @Julien can comment further on this. I believe he stated he has over 500 showers with his first Gen Watch on.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
About 600 times by now and have ran in every kind of precipitation and even extreme trail running (mud). Swam a few times and have washed my car many times.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Only the speaker will sometimes be muted/attenuated/distorted during and for a few minutes after. As an added bonus the Digital Crown has never even been the slightest bit sticky.

That's impressive after 600 showers, etc. I thought you would be the most suitable forum member to contribute to this thread.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Am I remembering wrong, or was it advertised as "splash resistant"? If that's the case, then unless you submerge it and let the pressure affect it, showering shouldn't hurt it.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Am I remembering wrong, or was it advertised as "splash resistant"? If that's the case, then unless you submerge it and let the pressure affect it, showering shouldn't hurt it.
Phrases like "splash resistant" are subjective and only ratings are objective. Here is what happens if you submerge it to 40M (130').

Reactions: jaymc

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Phrases like "splash resistant" are subjective and only ratings are objective. Here is what happens if you submerge it to 40M (130').

True that - true that. As with the Apple Watch Series 2, it appears to have been built above specification when it comes to water resistance, but I'd still advise against prolonged submersion. I don't really think it'll harm, but in case it does, you have technically exceeded what I'd say was the promise. Splash means water - not constant pressure from water. But showering should definitely be a-OK

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I showered with my original Apple Watch everyday from 4/29/15 -> 2/16/17 (659 days). I had also used my watch in the hot tub and other shallow water. Never a single problem. And now on another first gen watch since 2/18/17 without issue. (Watch was replaced for battery failing).

There are people, that have had water damage due to improper gluing on the top of the screen. As long as the device is still under warranty, water damage is covered. I had a watch that had the gluing defect and cause the screen to go black after rinsing it under the sink after a workout. (The original replacement for the battery defect) But that was 100% covered as it was a manufacturer defect.

GoSUV

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Hong Kong
With my S0 SS, I occasionally rinse mine with soap and under a mild running tap (not blasting it) to try to clean things up - especially in the summer when you tend to sweat a lot. Never had a problem.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Yep, I shower with my SS Series 0 all the time. No problems, whatsoever.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I've showered with mine a couple of times, although I stopped doing it after I saw someone post on this forum that their Apple watch eventually got water damage from showering with it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've showered with mine a couple of times, although I stopped doing it after I saw someone post on this forum that their Apple watch eventually got water damage from showering with it.

Those were my thoughts as well. The First Gen Watch is splash resistant rated at IPX7. With the gluing issues and water damage not covered, I didn't want to take the risk. Although, many forum members have had zero issues with showering with their Apple Watch.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Those were my thoughts as well. The First Gen Watch is splash resistant rated at IPX7. With the gluing issues and water damage not covered, I didn't want to take the risk. Although, many forum members have had zero issues with showering with their Apple Watch.

Water damage is covered. That's been covered many times before.

Edit: I should note as long as the device is still under warranty.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Exactly. If it's under warranty. Most first Gen Watches likely are out of warranty.

Correct. AppleCare+ will be expiring at the end of next month for launch day owners, such as myself.

But with the gluing issue being a known manufacturer defect, I'm sure Apple Support or Customer Relations would willing to work with the customer, even if AC/AC+ is expired.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Correct. AppleCare+ will be expiring at the end of next month for launch day owners, such as myself.

But with the gluing issue being a known manufacturer defect, I'm sure Apple Support or Customer Relations would willing to work with the customer, even if AC/AC+ is expired.

I agree with this. The gluing issue was a defect on Apple's behalf and they have worked with customers to remedy the situation. I read where you received a replacement because of this issue. It's good to know Apple is aware the defect.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I agree with this. The gluing issue was a defect on Apple's behalf and they have worked with customers to remedy the situation. I read where you received a replacement because of this issue. It's good to know Apple is aware the defect.

Yeah they sent it out same day no questions asked. They were super apologetic about it. But I was shocked that it had the issue to begin with. It had a manufacturer date of Jan 2017 and came with 3.1 installed. So the fact that they are still making units that have the defect is shocking.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Yeah they sent it out same day no questions asked. They were super apologetic about it. But I was shocked that it had the issue to begin with. It had a manufacturer date of Jan 2017 and came with 3.1 installed. So the fact that they are still making units that have the defect is shocking.

That is pretty surprising, yes. You'd assume that when they're aware of it, and have taken steps to replace affected models, that they'd fix it for any models manufactured going forwards

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2015
Bought my S0 at launch and shower with it several times per week without issue. In fact I've been pretty abusive and wear it like my previous rugged waterproof watches and it has held up like a champ. I do remove it when I get in the pool and particularly the ocean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.