Showing charging...But not connected

jstevo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
I've had no problems with the 2018 i9 MacBook; great piece of kit
However ive just updated it to Mojave 10.14.5 and there are a few weird things going on

The most annoying being the "charging bar" now shows it's charging wether or not it is connected to AC power. Its going down from 28 to 27% but showing charging BUT its not connected.
When I do connect the AC adapter it makes no sound to indicate this and the logo stays the same.

Any ideas? Also on this section of the "about this mac" - should this show that its actually got a radeon GPU rather than the internal chip? How can I test it is utilising the GPU.

Screenshot 2019-06-26 at 09.41.49.png

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Have you tried the basics, like restarting, SMC resets and the like?

Also it'll show whichever GPU is being used, not what it has. So as it's using the iGPU, that's what's displayed. If you load up an application (Or plug in a monitor) which uses the dGPU then it'll show the Radeon.

jstevo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
I have restarted but not done SMC reset as I didnt know it excised! Will do and revert

Thanks for info on GPU

jstevo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
Nope, tried both and the whole day its been unplugged and showed "charging" but draining and nothing attached

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
Are you using the 87w charger that came with this macbook?

Also, are you using any dongle through that charger?

Webster's Mac

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
I've had no problems with the 2018 i9 MacBook; great piece of kit
However ive just updated it to Mojave 10.14.5 and there are a few weird things going on

The most annoying being the "charging bar" now shows it's charging wether or not it is connected to AC power. Its going down from 28 to 27% but showing charging BUT its not connected.
When I do connect the AC adapter it makes no sound to indicate this and the logo stays the same.

Any ideas? Also on this section of the "about this mac" - should this show that its actually got a radeon GPU rather than the internal chip? How can I test it is utilising the GPU.

View attachment 845094
"About this Mac" only shows the Radeon GPU when it's engaged. It's completely normal for it to show the iGPU only on that screen. Fire up a game, Final Cut, iMovie, etc and go back to that screen. Should show the Radeon..

As for the charging issue.. have you tried a different port? Different brick? Different cable?

As mentioned above... also try an SMC reset

michelg1970

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Gouda - The Netherlands
Mine has exactly same problem: charging icon whilst disconnected. Noticed it too late, did SMC, PRAM resets but now battery is empty and MBP is dead in the water and won’t charge anymore. Even on its last juice when connected to an actual charger it showed “not charging”. Tried 2 different 86 W PSU and 2 different USB C cables.... Help!?!!

Webster's Mac

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
Mine has exactly same problem. Noticed it too late, did SMC, PRAM resets but now battery is empty and MBP is dead in the water and won’t charge anymore. Help!?!!
Try a different charger? Your machine is most likely still under warranty...book an appointment at the Apple Store or an AASP. They'll have spare chargers and if there is a hardware fault, they'll take care of it.

michelg1970

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Gouda - The Netherlands
Try a different charger? Your machine is most likely still under warranty...book an appointment at the Apple Store or an AASP. They'll have spare chargers and if there is a hardware fault, they'll take care of it.
Thanks for your message. Was still editing mine. Tried two different chargers with two different USB C cables. Yes still under warranty but can’t live without it for a long time (work).

Strange occurrence though...

Webster's Mac

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
Thanks for your message. Was still editing mine. Tried two different chargers with two different USB C cables. Yes still under warranty but can’t live without it for a long time (work).

Strange occurrence though...
I'm sure you've already tried this...but just to make sure:

Different outlet? (not just a different socket on a power strip...but find a different room/wall with a known-working outlet and try it)

Different USB-C port on the Macbook? Try charging with each one. If one or two ports on the same side charge, then maybe one of the USB-C boards needs to be changed in the machine. Also that would buy you some time until you could be without the machine (ie. vacation, etc)

michelg1970

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Gouda - The Netherlands
I'm sure you've already tried this...but just to make sure:

Different outlet? (not just a different socket on a power strip...but find a different room/wall with a known-working outlet and try it)

Different USB-C port on the Macbook? Try charging with each one. If one or two ports on the same side charge, then maybe one of the USB-C boards needs to be changed in the machine. Also that would buy you some time until you could be without the machine (ie. vacation, etc)
Thanks again. Tried other outlets too. Both PSUs are charging iPhone and iPad just fine so at least working. Tried all 4 USB C ports but to no avail. Tried leaving it disconnected for 15 minutes and try again etc. And it all started just as described above: when not connected to power, the battery icon showed it was charging while draining...

Made appointment with Apple to call me. Their working hours aren’t as they used to be so they will call me back tomorrow morning 8 am.

Just in case I also made appointment for repair at AASP. Need mine back soonest as I have business trip upcoming...

jstevo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
Thanks again. Tried other outlets too. Both PSUs are charging iPhone and iPad just fine so at least working. Tried all 4 USB C ports but to no avail. Tried leaving it disconnected for 15 minutes and try again etc. And it all started just as described above: when not connected to power, the battery icon showed it was charging while draining...

Made appointment with Apple to call me. Their working hours aren’t as they used to be so they will call me back tomorrow morning 8 am.

Just in case I also made appointment for repair at AASP. Need mine back soonest as I have business trip upcoming...

This is interesting - only one of my USB C ports is actually charging my MBP.
As you look at it typing it is the top right corner. The rest are not charging it. Is this normal?

The other ports, whilst plugged in to the same setup, shows that it is "charging" whilst plugged in but definitely no charge happening and the battery indicator is going down.

In the power section in the "about this mac" - system preferences, the power section shows
when nothing is plugged in that it is receiving 7W of charge..... WTF!! This will be why the logo is showing charge - but why is it receiving 7W of power and from where? I repeat, nothing is plugged in.

I have tried with the original MacBook 87W charger and my unofficial backup. both the same.

Let me know Michelg1970 what they say... I might need to do the same and get it booked in
[doublepost=1561718676][/doublepost]
Are you using the 87w charger that came with this macbook?

Also, are you using any dongle through that charger?
Thanks for the reply. It is an 87W brick and I have an unofficial one too. Both same issue. It looks like one of the USB C ports is buggy I think because right hand side works for charging but left hand side doesnt

No dongle, just straight into the port

Lightsaber

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2015
This is interesting - only one of my USB C ports is actually charging my MBP.
As you look at it typing it is the top right corner. The rest are not charging it. Is this normal?

The other ports, whilst plugged in to the same setup, shows that it is "charging" whilst plugged in but definitely no charge happening and the battery indicator is going down.

In the power section in the "about this mac" - system preferences, the power section shows
when nothing is plugged in that it is receiving 7W of charge..... WTF!! This will be why the logo is showing charge - but why is it receiving 7W of power and from where? I repeat, nothing is plugged in.

I have tried with the original MacBook 87W charger and my unofficial backup. both the same.

Let me know Michelg1970 what they say... I might need to do the same and get it booked in
[doublepost=1561718676][/doublepost]

Thanks for the reply. It is an 87W brick and I have an unofficial one too. Both same issue. It looks like one of the USB C ports is buggy I think because right hand side works for charging but left hand side doesnt

No dongle, just straight into the port
It appears that one of the thunderbolt/usb-c connectors may have taken a power surge and fried. When one goes it can take other ports with it due to the way the chipset is designed on the motherboard. May be time to go visit your local friendly Apple store and have them swap out the board.

jstevo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019

Any update on your end?