Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nathanlukewong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2009
Hi there

I was wondering if anyone could please tell me how I can show multiple files from different folders on my desktop.

Ive tried using -ln s but that only seems to work for a folder, rather than the contents of the folder.

Thanks

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
You can certainly use a symlink (ln -s) for either files or folders but you can also simply use a Mac "alias" by holding [option]+[command] while dragging the file or folder to the Desktop.

nathanlukewong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2009
You can certainly use a symlink (ln -s) for either files or folders but you can also simply use a Mac "alias" by holding [option]+[command] while dragging the file or folder to the Desktop.

Thanks for the reply - although the folder contents will not be dynamic

How can I have it so that when ever new content is added to a particular folder it is automatically synced to my desktop as well?

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
As JohnDS suggested, maybe automator watch. Or, you could likely write a bash script and schedule it to run every hour using cron. Something like this:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
monitorFolder='/folder/to/monitor'
for f in $(ls ${monitorFolder}/*pattern*)
do
ln -s "${monitorFolder}/${f}" "~/Desktop/${f}"
done

Just threw that together so test the quoting and the subshell "ls" command carefully first but this should be close.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.