Showing Unknown Networks in my Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harrymohan, Jan 20, 2008.

1. harrymohan macrumors member

Hi guys,
    I am newbie to Mac, I have OSX 10.5 installed and now I noticed while browsing Machintosh HD, on left hand side, it is showing unknown networks in my "Shared", could you please tell me how to take them out, since I don't recognize them and also do any one of you, did they have/had full access to my computer.

P.S -: My macbook's BT is off.

Thanks

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

If anyone sees your computer they need your username and password to get access to it, and they can only do that if your sharing preferences are turned on.

As for random names appearing in your list, if you are on a network which other people can join, it could be them.

To change your sharing preferences open Sharing in System Preferences. Everything should be off as default I think.

3. harrymohan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks,
    I got it, Earlier, I was on my friend's network(Wireless) and she might have her on LAN kind of thing setup. Now I joined my own Wireless network and all those networks vanished away!!

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Yeah it's just other computers connected to the network, likewise if someone joined your network you might see a new name added to the list. It has nothing to do with BT.