Showrunner Jason Katims Leaves Universal TV to Develop Content for Apple

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 16, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Well-known producer, writer, and show creator Jason Katims has departed Universal TV after inking a multi-year deal with Apple, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Under the exclusive deal, which kicks off this summer, Katims will create content for Apple under his True Jack Productions banner.

Katims has been responsible for many high-profile television shows, including "Parenthood," "Friday Night Lights," "Roswell," "Rise," and "About a Boy."

He will continue to work on "Away" and "Sisters," two projects that he has in the works with Universal TV, but future content will be exclusive to Apple.

Katims is rejoining Michelle Lee, who formerly served as head of development at True Jack before moving on to Apple's creative development team.

Apple has signed deals with multiple high-profile figures and companies in the TV industry for its upcoming streaming service. Apple is partnering with film studio A24, Oprah, and Sesame Workshop.

The company also already has multiple television shows in the works, with a full list available in our Apple TV roundup.

Article Link: Showrunner Jason Katims Leaves Universal TV to Develop Content for Apple

2. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Has any of their shows even started filming yet?

3. Doomtomb macrumors 6502

Doomtomb

4. sully54 macrumors regular

sully54

Yes. I have a friend who is in the Apple TV series. They started production as of October last year.

5. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

All of their content seems too... contrived, cerebral or artsy fartsy to me. Apple should acquire WWE or sign up Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson for something. If they managed to pick up WWE that would put Linda McMahon in Apple's back pocket. She could show Tim how to scale his iPhone business down to something the SBA can help them with.

6. Hiddecollee macrumors newbie

Do you have more information?

7. lunarworks macrumors 65816

WWE? Really? All the wrestling fans I know say it's been terrible for years, and the ratings for RAW are apparently the worst they've ever been.

8. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

That's all before Apple injects their special touch of cultural awareness into an otherwise unrefined product. I thought the idea of Linda McMahon helping Tim scale down his iPhone business gave the joke away...

9. Thenephi macrumors newbie

Thenephi

10. lunarworks macrumors 65816

With some of the people who post here it's really, really hard to tell.

11. simonmet, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019

simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

I find Apple and content creation to be just ... weird. It doesn’t feel right. Mostly because I think of Apple as being too safe and PC, almost childishly so. It’s a company that thought highly pixelated 8-bit graphics of naked bodies was too explicit! (and many other similar examples). I doubt very much you’d see them make a Breaking Bad, or even a Game of Thrones without sanitising it.

Much prefer they stick to hardware and software. It’s not like they don’t have enough to do! Where’s the redesigned iMac and Mac Pro already?

12. RowellE macrumors regular

RowellE

The Jennifer Aniston/Reese Witherspoon one is either currently in production or finished filming. Aniston recently appeared on the Ellen show and mentioned something about working with one of her costars on the new Apple series.

13. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

Well... Parenthood and Friday Night Lights were exceptional... so this is promising.

14. rubberfish, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019

rubberfish macrumors member

Nah. That’s a photo of Phil Schiller from the 90s :D

[​IMG]

15. shanmugam macrumors 68020

i wish Apple never gets into this arts/cinema/content creation ... on the other news they are cutting work force/layoffs

apple is an IT company, all the people worked hard to get apple this level are forced out.

and Mac are out priced without real reasonable reason (SSD prices plummeted, that touch bar did not make it out side of MBP, why the Mac are expensive?, Intel CPU/GPUs prices stayed relative to the inflation rate). What is the expensive component in last 10 years? Retina Display there for few years not, not sure if that is very expensive.

readjust the Mac prices, please, hard to say it, good to see iPhone sales declining. :(

16. Larryzuluking macrumors newbie

Larryzuluking

What.....?

17. Winni macrumors 68040

Winni

They haven't been an IT company since they dropped the word "computer" from their name. For many years, their main business has been selling content consuming gadgets and milking 30% out of the creative work of other developers. This is not what a real IT company would do for a living.

18. LinusR macrumors 6502

LinusR

Say what you will about Apple's TV endeavours, but they are certainly putting lot of money and expertise into the creation of new formats -- I'm excited!

On the other hand, yet another subscription service (Apple Music in this case) on top of the others (see e.g. Netflix's massive price hike coming soon) doesn't bode well for my wallet...

19. sully54 macrumors regular

sully54

It’s the show with Jason Momoa about a dystopian future where everybody is blind or something like that. Production is somewhere in British Columbia. I don’t have more information but from what I gather, the fact that it’s an Apple show is widely talked about on set. No secrecy at all, which is really interesting since apple hasn’t announced it at all.

20. jabbawok macrumors regular

jabbawok

Exactly what I thought, someone photoshop that barnet onto Phil.

21. E3BK macrumors 68030

E3BK

This was announced last year. It was in all the trades and lots of news outlets, especially since Momoa and Aquaman were also in the news a lot.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/jason-momoa-apple-see-1202869906/

22. Zenithal macrumors 604

There is no thread on this, but it looks like Disney and Apple will enter a bidding war for a new JJ Abrams show. Both companies have deeper pockets than the other networks involved in the bidding war. Though Apple easily outbid Disney without hurting.

23. sully54 macrumors regular

sully54

I know. I was just commenting how apple’s streaming service is the worst kept secret in the industry.

24. shanmugam macrumors 68020

Apple is a software company at its core, nothing is possible without the MacOS or iOS, all of it started with it. They had vision for what hardware can do and marketing style, again nothing was possible without the MacOS and its attention to detail they paid to the OS.

Now, with $200B+ plus they can do anything they want, it is different story now.