Showtime allegedly based on stolen software code / development methods

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ernestc, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ernestc macrumors newbie

http://www.digg.com/apple/Layton_Duncan_going_to_MacWord_with_STOLEN_software_code

New Zealander Layton Duncan, founder of Polar Bear Farm Ltd (www.polarbearfarm.co.nz) will be attending MacWorld '08 to showcase his new product "ShowTime". ShowTime essentially brings video recording to the iPhone... the problem? Layton stole the code from a small group of developers he befriended weeks earlier.

If this is true then it is wrong for him to do so and I hope you all those attending Macworld also voice your displeasure.

Also just to note he is charging for the the software.

EDIT:
    Apologies for the double/tripple up. will try get the others removed.

2. Yixian macrumors 65816

Professor Layton being ported to iPhone?

MEGATON!

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

That's a pretty serious accusation and I hope you can back it up with evidence or else you could find yourself in hot water. Mac Rumors could also end up in trouble if this thread remains unsubstantiated...

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'll be at MWSF...

will he have a booth or is he attending iPhone Supersession? I'll look for him and his STOLEN software; feel free to Private Message me! :cool:

6. ernestc thread starter macrumors newbie

First off I am not making the accusations. secondly I did not write the article. Thirdly read the submission and make your own mind up.

Just pointing to the info i found searching around on the net.

From monsterandfriends.com
    ATTENTION!
    LDUNCAN AKA POLERBEARFARM IS NO LONGER PART OF THIS SITE, THIS TEAM, OR ANYTHING AFFILIATED. HE BACKSTABBED US ALL AND STOLE OUR HARD WORK OUT FROM UNDER US, WE DONT SUPPORT SOFTWARE THEIFS AND WE WANT YOU ALL TO KNOW THAT THE VIDEO APP HE RELEASED WAS BASED OFF A PRIVATE POC WHICH I RELEASED 6 WEEKS AGO. THE CODE WAS PRIVATE AND DISCLOSED TO TEAM MEMEBERS ONLY.

Read the posts and go to the irc rooms they chatting about it.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I have and LDuncan appears to be denying any wrongdoing at all. The thing is, you claim in your original posting that Layton stole the code (without any corroborating evidence), and the posting you have made is making accusations. If this is inaccurate you have libeled Layton. There are two sides to every story and you would be safer to put an "allegedly" in there for your own and Mac Rumors' protection

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

In the US they would likely file mutual cease and desist orders for release and sale of the software until resolved.

Don't know about NZ and how they would handle it.

9. ernestc thread starter macrumors newbie

What I meant was I am not the person who has written the above story, just posted here. I do think he is guilty though from the information I have been given.

My biggest issue is that he is charging for the software which if not based on the private codebase, is atleast based on the development methods revealed to the team. Either way its wrong.

I have changed the title to reflect the opinion of Phil that it would protect MacRumours from any prosecution.

In saying that here in New Zealand you can't sue people for defamation of character etc. Its not litigation happy like the US.

10. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Has anyone else noticed that the link to the guys site no-longer works.

Looks like the profesor is out on his ear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.