Showtime on Amazon only $8.99

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mlenger, Dec 9, 2015.

1. mlenger macrumors regular

mlenger

showtime is only $ 8.99 a month vs Apple Tv's 10.99.
    Does not to seem a promotional deal. Why pay $2 more?
    I know you need a Prime subscription but still...

2. Kurri macrumors 6502

Well you do need a Prime subscription so...

3. interfreak macrumors regular

interfreak

There's your answer..

4. Poontaco macrumors regular

It's also $8.99 on Hulu.
    That's how bundle pricing works.

5. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Dumb/obvious question. If I subscribe to Showtime on Amazon, I can watch Showtime Anywhere on the Apple TV, correct?

6. Poontaco macrumors regular

My guess would be no.
    I have Showtime through Hulu, but I can't log in with the Showtime app. I have to use the Hulu app.

7. mlenger thread starter macrumors regular

mlenger

No that's a interesting question. Amazon confirmed a Amazon Video app is coming to Apple TV in the next weeks. So how would that work than?

8. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

My understanding is that you loose Live TV on Showtime (which I never use). But also you loose the SIRI Integrated Search that would normally include Showtime. However, I think you get the benefit of an integrated Hulu Favorites/Queue (they dropped the Watchlist for a while which is terrible). With the standalone app I can only register 5 devices at a time for Showtime which is very limited. Is that the same when under Hulu? Do you have to register on Showtime Site to manage your devices? Am I missing anything else?

9. benjitek, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Not a dumb question at all, and comes as a surprise to many users when they find out these new bundled options don't include access to the individual service apps. SlingTV is another example -- subscribing to any of their bundles doesn't give you access to the included channels outside of the SlingTV app as there is no SlingTV (or Amazon or Hulu) service provider login option in TV-network apps or at their websites.

Another annoyance is the delayed programming availability. For example, with a Showtime Anywhere subscription you can watch that new episode of Homeland the moment it begins airing live -- with a bundled add-on, you have to wait until it's made available, something that varies by service, and even then is inconsistent.

If you have an iOS device, Amazon Video has native AirPlay support that works quite well. The iOS app was recently updated and now includes Amazon's X-Ray function which is great, turns your iOS device into a 2nd screen that displays the current scene you're AirPlaying along with applicable IMDB info. If the same video were being watched with a native ATV4 app, that info would partially cover the screen, or pause the video if you selected something for additional info. X-Ray isn't available for add-ons though, regardless of platform.

Can't help but wonder how many videos that would once have been included with Prime will now be available only in one of the add-ons. I suspect that may have something to do with HBO being late to the Prime-Party as much of their on-demand content is already included with Prime -- once they become an add-on, I'll bet their current Prime content will be gone, likely when their current agreement with Amazon expires. Prime used to be a great way to watch British TV shows -- but I've a feeling they will now be tucked away in the AcornTV add-on. Oddly enough, subscribing to AcornTV at their website has the same subscription rate as going through Amazon Prime Instant Video. Regardless, $4.99 is very reasonable considering how huge and varied their library is.

10. chuyn macrumors 6502

When it's through Hulu, Siri search will still show results from Showtime, you just can't click on the button to automatically open it up in the Showtime app. You'll have to go into Hulu on your own, just knowing now that the show is available there. Not ideal, but at least Showtime shows still show up.

11. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Wonder why the Variety article is saying you can login to the standalone apps:
    http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/amazon-video-subscriptions-showtime-starz-prime-1201656131/

-Kevin

12. JBaby macrumors member

JBaby

13. Menel, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015

Menel macrumors 603

Menel

They have NOT.
    Random twitter dude posted a picture of a supposed CS person claiming that Amazon engineering is working on it.
    1. does random twitter dude have any merit?
    2. did he photoshop it
    3. Random CS people know nothing of business plans.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

There is just a section in the amazon app that is called "add on subscriptions". It is part of the amazon prime app only.

15. Poontaco macrumors regular

According to the Variety article linked above, you CAN use the stand-alone Showtime app if you've subscribed through Amazon.
    From experience, I know it does not work the same way with Hulu though.

16. madsci954 macrumors 68030

If you factor in Prime, it's 17.24 a month, vs 10.99. So if you're already a Prime subscriber, that would be a good extra. If you aren't, then go through Apple.

17. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

That's a ridiculous price add on considering many people already pay for Prime for its benefits. 2 dollars off of Showtime is just a bonus.

18. err404 macrumors 68020

Showtime sets the pricing on AppleTV. They may be increasing the cost to offset Apple's 30% cut.
    I don't know what, if any, is charged by Amazon.

19. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

You would only be able to access Showtime via Amazon. My girlfriend and I have the Showtime add on via our Hulu subscription, but we do not have access to the standalone Showtime app.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That makes complete sense, and you are probably right.

The fact you have to have prime means Amazon is taking little if anything.

21. betabeta macrumors 6502a

If, and it's still a big if, Amazon makes a video app for Apple TV, and they do it correctly including universal search, I would buy Showtime through Amazon for sure.

If I can't use universal search, it isn't worth the switch to save a few dollars.

22. benjitek, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

No idea, have you been able to do so? Either the author didn't research the material, or this aspect of the service hasn't been implemented. I've subscribed to AcornTV and Starz and there's no way to use my Amazon login at either site, or within their corresponding iOS apps. It's also not how Amazon explains things on their support pages; subscriptions require Amazon Video for viewing:
    Also of interest, and something I was unaware of, is that they offer 'live' viewing for some subscriptions -- at this time two channels have this functionality. Unfortunately, it only works with a desktop browser (but not Safari), not within the Amazon Video apps or from a mobile browser -- so no native AirPlay support. It looks OK though with AirPlay Screen Mirroring: