• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

showtime4__140512213840-250x87.jpg
A new report from Variety today (via iClarified) suggests that Showtime's parent company CBS is putting the final touches on a standalone streaming service for the premium cable network, with rumors pointing to an official announcement either later today or sometime on Thursday.

Just like HBO NOW, the service would allow customers interested in Showtime to circumvent a traditional cable subscription and gain access to all of the network's shows and films for a single monthly fee. Variety says that CBS will reveal a partnership with Apple and the Apple TV that will be the exclusive home of the Showtime online-only service, similar to HBO NOW's initial exclusivity window on Apple TV and iOS devices. CBS still plans for other online partners to be announced in the future, according to "industry sources."

No name or price model was detailed yet for the Showtime service, but as pointed out by Variety, the move would fall in line with the company's announcement last fall of a $6 per month streaming service that presented access to the network's library of old and new shows. With Showtime cable subscriptions aligning closely with that of HBO, the new service would undoubtedly fall in the ballpark of HBO Now's $14.99 per month charge.

Update: As expected, Showtime has confirmed the streaming service will officially launch on July 12 for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple TV. The monthly service will run users $10.99 and simply be called "Showtime." The early July launch will also coincide with the new seasons of Ray Donovan and Masters of Sex.

Article Link: Showtime's Standalone Streaming Service Set to Premiere on Apple TV [Updated]

Last edited by a moderator:
The longer time moves on, the less and less excited I am about the potential for a new Apple TV and any accompanying service. 3-4 years ago I was so ready for Apple to revolutionize the TV.

Now I'm just happy with any dumb netflix stream through my TV. I'd rather be motived to get outside than sit in front of my TV anyway

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
By the time you get through buying all the channels you want A la Carte, you'd be better off just buying a cable subscription.
I came to say the exact same thing. Not sure why some thought a la carte would be so great. These companies are not going to short their revenue. They will evenually make a la carte an option, but an option that will not reduce their profits. If anything, it will be priced to slightly increase their profit.

Comment

ryanissamson

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2015
By the time you get through buying all the channels you want A la Carte, you'd be better off just buying a cable subscription.

This ^.

Granted no one wants that option either, so basically studios are just giving everyone another crappy option to get fragmented offerings. If only the technology existed to have all TV shows and Movies available to watch on demand on any platform, that'd be something I'd be willing to spend hard-earned money on. Oh wait...

Reactions: SpasticPat
Comment

Narrator Jack

macrumors regular
May 14, 2013
And now the chasm of a year which looms between the eager and the premiere of Twin Peaks.

Comment

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

As of right now, that's not really true just yet. I believe this is what Apple's service is going to attempt to address, however.

Also, let's not forget that you can suspend and resume services...even though it's more work

Reactions: jettredmont
Comment
It's possible that this is where Apple's TV service comes into play.

You can buy channels a la carte for prices ranging from $1-$10 per month, but then you subscribe to Apple's TV bundle for $40 for a whole slew of channels (hopefully customizable) that would have cost $60+ by purchasing them all a la carte.

Comment

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
For all channels the channels I want it would diff entry cost more. What I like about HBO Now and this from showtime is I can easily cancel when I'm done watching a show. Unlike with Directv to cancel any of the premium channels you have to call in.

Reactions: jettredmont
Comment

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio

You can buy channels a la carte for prices ranging from $1-$10 per month, but then you subscribe to Apple's TV bundle for $40 for a whole slew of channels (hopefully customizable) that would have cost $60+ by purchasing them all a la carte.
If Apple ever comes out with the service I doubt you will be able to pick and choose what you want in that bundle. It will just be like any cable company, or sling tv where you purchase set packages of channels.

Comment

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Blah blah, when will Charter Communication allow customers to access HBO Go and Showtime Anytime on Apple TV or when Amazon Prime and CW be on Apple TV tired of all this apps where I can not access to stream.

Comment

Gasu E.

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
HBO can get away with $15 a month. Showtime cannot. Not every premium channel is going to make it through the transition to digital offerings, especially if they start thinking that they have shows as good as Game of Thrones.
Showtime won't charge $15/mo. They are greedy, not crazy. They don't have the must-watch offerings that HBO has.

Comment

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I guess Steve Jobs did not "crack" anything.

By the item this all shakes out one would pay $ 100 or so including premium channels.

Looks like Netflix and the like are on a better path than Apple.

WWDC may set that straight (hopefully)

Comment

AppleMad98004

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2011
Cylde Hill, WA
I came to say the exact same thing. Not sure why some thought a la carte would be so great. These companies are not going to short their revenue. They will evenually make a la carte an option, but an option that will not reduce their profits. If anything, it will be priced to slightly increase their profit.

I've always asked people who though a la carte would be cheaper to explain. Why? In fact per channel will be much more than a package.

Oh and if you "add" this to most cable packages the channel is actually cheaper. I think I pay 5.99 to add showtime to my cable package.

Comment

That's pushing a lot of positive dream into the rumor. I've seen nothing beyond user speculation about "hopefully customizable". Instead, all rumors have implied that Apple is going to select a bundle of channels and price them between about $30 and $40 per month. Each of those rumors read like it will be Apple's cut at a basic cable bundle which, if true, probably means they come with commercials (which makes sense at that kind of pricing speculation).

Similarly, other than us consumers dreaming, I've seen nothing that implies an al-a-carte menu of channels priced as low as $1 per channel. Instead, I'm seeing harder rumors such as the CBS offering coming out at about $6 per month, HBO Now already out at $15, etc. I think such pricing speaks volumes about al-a-carte pricing models... which might be summed up as "maintain or increase the average monthly subscription levels" rather than deliver some huge discount because we don't have to subscribe to those "180 channels I never watch." I can want the typical incarnation of the dream as much as anyone else here but the business reality sure sours up that dream as soon as we think it through beyond what's in it for us.

Comment

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

By the item this all shakes out one would pay $ 100 or so including premium channels.

Looks like Netflix and the like are on a better path than Apple.

WWDC may set that straight (hopefully)

It usually costs $150-$200/month on all the cable providers (and satellite services) to get all the channels including the premium ones. (Except for the 'first year discount' as an incentive to get new subscribers)

Comment

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010

What he probably invisioned was the user interface with TV, a combination of Siri-style voice activation with natural language searching of multiple TV sources/streams/channels.

Samsung got a jump ahead with the SmartTV concept, leaving Apple to work on content. But this is proving tricky, as we can see.

Comment

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
What he probably invisioned was the user interface with TV, a combination of Siri-style voice activation with natural language searching of multiple TV sources/streams/channels.

Samsung got a jump ahead with the SmartTV concept, leaving Apple to work on content. But this is proving tricky, as we can see.
As an owner of one of Samsung's "Smart" TVs, I can assure you they are anything but.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.