Shredder recommendations

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Dec 15, 2007.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My parents had a Fellowes paper shredder that crapped out and they're looking to replace it. Any brands or specific models you suggest? Trying to keep the price under 50 bucks or so. Thanks in advance

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

For a shredder under $50 it probably doesn't matter. Just get the one that's on sale.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What's the difference between them? Just get one that shreds paper; the cheaper (within reason of expecting reliability in return), the better.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Depends on the shredding need. Look for cross-cut, the thinner/shorter of the cut, the better. Number of pages at a time, card/CD capability indicate better teeth and a stronger motor, and also add to the cost.

Ribbon-cut shredders are no more effective than a four-year-old with safety scissors.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Except you don't have to feed a shredder.

6. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering...is one brand more reliable than the other? Or are they all pretty much the same?

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

At that price range, they're basically all the same. I would go with the cheapest that met the specifications you need.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have a Staples branded one. It's not that bad really but since I had a box full of papers to shred after my other crapped out it overheated after 20 minutes of straight shredding. I assumed under normal use this would not happen and that was the case.

What is the difference between them?
    Under $50 you can still find a few that shred credit cards which I like because it saves me having to cut cards that expired. You also will find some that do staples though not many I bet. Mine doesn't say but given that it was cheap I won't bother trying. Plus what I shred is pretty much just bills paid online and those damn credit card offers.
    What you cannot tell without using is will it overheat fast? Does it have an auto-off if the lid were removed for some reason, and more importantly how many pages can you shred? 3 or less is useless because then you have to unfold papers if you want to shred things from the mail that was tri-folded.
    Bottom line is look for one that does 6+ pages and cross cut. There's no point in not having a cross-cut shredder.
    When you go < $50 you start to look into never-dull blades, higher page capacity, and CD shredding.

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?&langId=-1&storeId=10001&splCatType=1&catalogId=10051&productId=155701&cmArea=SC3:CG868:CL158974

From the site:
    Normally $60, on sale for $40. Sounds pretty good to me.

10. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

But you have to feed the paper into the shredder! :)

11. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc