Shrink-grade to SE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cakefish, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Cakefish macrumors 6502

Cakefish

I have a Galaxy S7. Is it worth 'shrink-grading' to iPhone SE? Important things I need in a phone are a great camera (in most lighting conditions), good battery life (mostly in relation to web browsing) and fast, fluid performance (already know the SE is great at this). I have an iPad Air 2 but I've never had an iPhone before. I really, really like my S7 but I look at the size of the SE with ravenous envy. I don't want a camera downgrade though, which is what gives me pause.

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Your criteria match the SE well. The camera won't be a downgrade, but it will be different.

3. zonazolazia macrumors member

zonazolazia

Front camera is definitely better on S7. Rear camera S7 is better on low light condition. During normal light, S7 is better but not by much.

I had just sold my S7. The hardware is pretty amazing but I dislike the software.

Also, there is no browser as good as Safari on Android in terms of web loading speed and features. Firefox is the closest, but still not good enough for me.

4. Chatter macrumors 6502a

This is a tough issue but if the size if the SE doesnt bother you, go for it. Maybe you can try it in the store first? The camera is not a downgrade from the S7.

Side note: The other day I pulled my 5S out and could not stand the small size BUT our preferences/use are obviously different.

5. Jayjew macrumors 6502

Jayjew

You want a good battery but went with the S7? Why...? I came back from the S7 Edge because of the battery and also I bought a macbook. lol.

Also, why not get a 6s? Are you only interested in the SE because it's "Newer"?

6. Cakefish thread starter macrumors 6502

Cakefish

I don't live in the USA so over here we have Exynos S7 which has been found to have better battery life relative to the Snapdragon S7. It's the same longevity as my previous Sony Z5 Compact was getting, so I'm content with that.

I'm interested in the SE because it's a much smaller phone. 6S is too similar to the S7 in size. It's all about the compact size and the consistency of iOS.

7. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

The S7 is a good phone and I think it takes better pics than the 6S/6S+/SE camera, but with that said, it's not a huge difference. The size isn't much different IMHO either. Seems much smaller than my Note 5. My SE arrives Thursday and I'm just not sure if I will be selling my Note or keeping it.

If you own Macs or other iOS devices, then having an iOS phone makes all the sense in the world. Maybe buy the SE and test drive it for a bit. Just make sure you return it before the return period is up if you don't like it. Screen will be MUCH MUCH MUCH better on the Samsung and honestly, the S7 probably has the best screen in the business right now. It's beautiful. My fiancé loves hers and I'm not sure what the other poster is talking about S7 U.S. versions having bad battery life...as my fiancé is on hers all the time and easily lasts throughout the day. And example of one, I know, but out of all the knocks (which are few and far between) I've heard of the S7, battery life isn't one of them.