Shrinking a Windows Partition quickly - would this work?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dimwhit, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I need to trim 30-40GB off my Windows partition, and I'd rather not pay $20 for Camptune, because I'm cheap.

But would it work to boot into Windows, go into the Disk Management console and create a new partition out of the free space on the Windows partition.

Would this create a new partition that could be viewed in Disk Utility? If so, it could then be deleted and merged with the Mac partition. In theory. Anyone try anything similar?

2. simsaladimbamba

It will not work like this, since you have the Mac OS X partition in the inner circle, the Windows partition in the middle and the third partition would be on the outside, thus you cannot combine the inner and outer partition to one, unless you move the middle partition to the outer and thus be able to combine the inner and middle partition.

Or in other words, you can expand a partition by its end (unless another partition is blocking it), but you cannot expand a partition by its start.

[​IMG]

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Here is even a better picture of my HD, there is also the recovery partition in between as you can see.

Attached Files:

4. simsaladimbamba

Whüt süftwüre üs thüt?

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

iPartition.

6. simsaladimbamba

Thanks.