shrinking an avi video for iDVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Merkyworks, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

so i have some bike racing videos that im trying to burn using iDVD but the files are a little to large for single layer. the files are varying in size from 1.1-1.6 gig in AVI video format. when i just drag one of the files into a project its says its to large and when opening up project manger its been expanded to 6+ gigs and wont fit. so what can i do besides burning to dual layer dvd's, what program do i need or perhaps already have that can compress the video enough so that once dropped into iDVD it will fit on a single layer dvd. also am i going to be dropping the quality of the video so low that its not going to look good?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can drop the quality in iDVD, but the problem is probably their length ... how long are the movies?

EDIT: In iDVD preferences, what is the encoding setting set to?

Picture 1.png Picture 2.png

3. Merkyworks thread starter macrumors 6502

on average 2hrs in length and in idvd the its already set to best performance and video mode was NTSC.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think standard DVDs hold only 2 hours max of NTSC video ...

You might try using Burn to reduce the quality further.

5. Merkyworks thread starter macrumors 6502

well used burn and it encoded into mpg formant but it was still 5.3 gigs so unless there is another way it looks like i would have to use a dual layer dvd. most dvd players can play dual layer now right?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, most, if not all, will.