Shrunk Boot Camp Partition Inconsitencies

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by smeg36, Oct 29, 2010.

1. smeg36 macrumors regular

I realize there's lots of info on this, including a guide on this site. I want to shrink my bootcamp partition and put it back to my Mackintosh HD partition. I've read through everything, and ended up using Disk Management in Vista to shrink the volume. I then booted OSX and used Disk Utility to allocate the free space to the Mac partition.

It seems to have worked, but there are size inconsistencies when looking at the disk size and space available in Disk Utility, Get Info, and Disk Management in Windows. Some of them show the new numbers, some show the old numbers. Additionally, when I ran Time Machine it backed up the entire HD again instead of just an incremental backup. I'm wondering if there's any issue with the different size reports, or if I'm ok doing it the way I did. Thanks for any help.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Please post the actual numbers that are inconsistent. Also os it vista 32 or 64?

There's a warning in the mr guide about using disk management not working for some who have tried it.

B

3. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

It's 32-bit Vista Ultimate. When I use Get Info from the context menu on my Mackintosh HD partition is says available is 111GB. In Disk Utility when I select Mackintosh HD is shows space available as 111GB. When I go to the Partition tab and select Mackintosh HD it shows space available as 100.52GB. Disk Management in Vista also shows the available space as 100.52GB.

I've tried verifying the disk. I created a WinClone backup and deleted the BootCamp partition, then recreated and restored it. I'm in the process of creating a Time Machine backup now, and am considering reinstalling Snow Leopard all together, then restoring from Time Machine and WinClone to see if that will solve the discrepancy issue. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

NOTE: At this level you need to be absolutely sure that what you are seeing is not simply the GB <-> GiB confusion which is on the order of 7.4%. Some utilities report "GB" but mean GiB. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GibibyteYour numbers seem just slightly beyond that level.

Try gdisk as I mention here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10865958&postcount=15

It just seems in your case that the MBR and GPT representations of the partition table are slightly off. You should be abel to fix that with gdisk.

B

5. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, I read the page you linked to and it's way over my head. Thanks for the help though.

6. smeg36 thread starter macrumors regular

That must be what was happening. After a fresh install of Snow Leopard there was a similar discrepancy between the partition tab numbers, and the Mackintosh HD in Disk Utility numbers.