Shrunk partition, cant resize

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by karlmeakin, Aug 29, 2013.

1. karlmeakin macrumors newbie

I shrunk my Mac partition a few days ago, thinking i'd be able to use the free space on my windows partition. I cannot, and now I want to resize my Mac partition to the original size. So I dragged the corner into the original space, and the loading bar processed for a few seconds, then said "partition complete". However, the Mac partition returns to its shrunken size.

If it helps, I am on Mac OSX Mountain Lion.

[​IMG]

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ I shrunk my Mac partition a few days ago, thinking i'd be able to use the free space on my windows partition. I cannot, and now I want to resize my Mac partition to the original size. ]]

Having that windows partition may complicate things.

Usually, when one starts having "partition problems" such as you're having now, the best solution is to:
    1. Clone everything to another drive (you want a BOOTABLE CLONE)
    2. Boot from the clone
    3. Re-initialize and repartition the internal drive and make sure the partition sizes are where you want them to be, then...
    4. RE-clone your OS and data BACK FROM the cloned copy.

I try to avoid windows as much as possible, can't help with the Windows partition -- although I've heard there is something called "WinClone" that can assist insofar as making a clone of that partition is concerned.