Shrunken icons

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Morrius, May 18, 2010.

1. Morrius macrumors member

I've noticed that some of the icons to my applications and documents have shrunk. The picture of the icon is a fraction of what it once was, but I can still click on the empty space around and open the program. The files themselves seem unaffected. Any idea what is causing this?

Here's an example:

[​IMG]

2. Surely Guest

Surely

I think that you've pinched on your trackpad and caused them to shrink.

Try un-pinching with the icons on the screen (eg. in that folder), and see if that makes them larger.

3. Morrius thread starter macrumors member

That didn't seem to work... How do you pinch or un-pinch an icon?

I also looked at the Show View Options menu (Command-J). Increasing or decreasing the size removes this problem, but it returns when I set the icons back to their normal 48 x 48 size.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Are you using a MacBook, MacBook Pro, or a Magic Mouse with your Mac?

Go to System Preferences>Trackpad, and put your cursor over "Pinch Open & Close". That will show you what I mean.

If you do that action while your cursor is on your desktop or within a folder, your icons will grow or shrink, depending on whether you zoom in or out.

See my examples:

Attached Files:

5. Morrius thread starter macrumors member

It's a Macbook, aluminum unibody running 10.5.8. I've tried pinching and unpinching in a Finder folder, but nothing happens at all.

I noticed that your example shows that all of your icons are the same size. My problem is that only some of them have this problem. For example, all of my Word 97 documents in a folder have small icons, everything else looks normal.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You able to post a screen shot of the problems you are having?