Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Unfortunately I found out *after* I upgraded my iPhone 4 to 4.2.1 that I'm going to need the 4.1 "SHSH blobs" to do the untethered jailbreak when it comes out.

Is there going to be any hope for untethered jailbreak for me? It's not a HUGE priority as I've been greatly enjoying my phone stock. Heck I only looked into jailbreaking today and I've had the phone for several weeks now!

So what's the story? Most of the stuff I've read is a bit vague on what to do if you don't have those blobs.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
If you don't have the SHSH blobs for 4.1, theres no way of getting them. They are unique to the device. I have heard however that an untethered jailbreak in being worked on that will not require the 4.1 SHSH blobs, so don't give up hope.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It seems that as time goes on, it's taking longer and longer to find good jailbreaks.

I wonder if Apple will ever eventually succeed at making an unjailbreakable handset. That will be a sad day indeed. :(

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Unfortunately I found out *after* I upgraded my iPhone 4 to 4.2.1 that I'm going to need the 4.1 "SHSH blobs" to do the untethered jailbreak when it comes out.

This is totally no true, there is a exploit that use the 4.2b3 kernel (those are SHSH you could need, not the 4.1) for an untethered JB. That haven't been release and it may never be. @comex is working on a solution that doesn't required a downgrade, we haven't seen any update so we don't know how is that coming.

The bottom line is that you are not screw, yes it is bad you updated without your SHSH, you may need them for something, but as right now, it is not stopping you from anything.

It seems that as time goes on, it's taking longer and longer to find good jailbreaks.

I wonder if Apple will ever eventually succeed at making an unjailbreakable handset. That will be a sad day indeed. :(

Also not really true, if you search for the Jailbreaking time line, it use to take months, now it have been taking weeks and multiples tool are being released instead of just one. Also JB process have gotten easier and easier which take longer to package and test. People are just really impatient. (E.J. 4.2.1 was Jailbroken the moment it was released)

and No as long as Apple relay on software/firmware to Chroot the phone there will always be a way to jailbreak it (will we find it?, well that depend on how many people work on it, and the quality of their work)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.