SHSH blobs noobie question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by doc2142, Jul 21, 2010.

1. doc2142 macrumors member

I recently joined this forum and I have a question about SHSH blobs that I keep hearing about. I know what it does is lets you restore back to that firmware if anything happened but what is unclear for me is:

How do you save it?

Where does it save?

So at any point in time if you want to restore back your phone even if its on a new firmware and your not jailbroken you can go back to your firmware that you saved your shsh in? its like a restore point?

What devices you can do? I have a 3gs on 3.1.3 JB/UL can I save my SHSH?

2. doc2142 thread starter macrumors member

It says the window for 4.0 has closed to save your shsh? does this mean its closed for 3.1.3?

3. thep33t macrumors regular

4. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

apple is no longer signing blobs older than 4.0.1, so yeah.

5. doc2142 thread starter macrumors member

ok so if I use umbrella it will save the shsh blob for 4.0.1? even if my phone is on 3.1.3?

6. headcheese macrumors regular

yes

7. doc2142 thread starter macrumors member

oh ok I see so for every update apple releases I should save the SHSH blob for it incase I ever need to go back to that firmware.

And about the question about I asked, if your on any firmware you don't have to have a jailbroken Iphone to downgrade you just need to have the shsh blob saved correct?

Last but not east, when I jailbroke my iphone few days ago it said would you like to make your life easier by saving the shsh blob. What shsh blob did it save? is it the 4.0.1?

8. john.jakus macrumors newbie

When you save the SHSH blob for ur phone does it also save the BaseBand, so if you update, you can always go back to the old BB?

9. doc2142 thread starter macrumors member

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It is not possible to downgrade the baseband on most iPhone 3G and all iPhone 3GS. I understand that it is possible to downgrade the baseband on the iPhone 4, but this is controlled by an even stricter signature check than for the OS. I understand that baseband downgrades are really only feasible for people using pre-release betas (during which period the old baseband signatures are still available).

Bumping threads is forbidden on this forum.

11. john.jakus macrumors newbie

So the point of saving ur SHSH blob is that if someone was to update they could restore back to and get the jail break back, but they would lose their unlock due to the BB change. Then the unlock would have to wait again for an update for that BB.

okay I got it, thank you for ur reply

12. bmms8 macrumors 68020

after you are done with umbrella, can you trash the program or is it needed? tia.

13. Kayan macrumors 6502

Keep it for future SHSH requests (you'll probably need to download the update either way though).
    Also, if you have TinyUmbrella, you can use the TSS Server to restore your iPhone to the cached SHSH

14. bmms8 macrumors 68020

hey thanks for the quick reply. what does this exactly mean? thanks

15. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

From my experience in Cydia, once you click make my life easier in Cydia, it will automatically start saving the blobs for every version in the future.

On my last 3GS, I have every version, 3.0 on through 4.0 and I never prompted Cydia to save them after the very first time on 3.0. I never used umbrella either. Of course on the iPhone 4, we all have no choice but to use umbrella.

16. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Rather then start a new thread I thought I'd throw a question out there on this thread since it's similar. I just left the apple store with a replacement iPhone 4. It has ios 4.0 on it. I had previously saved my shsh using tiny umbrella but that was 4.0.1. First question, I will have to update to 4.0.1 to save my shsh to cydia now won't I? I've never jb but thought I'd go ahead and save them just in case. Also, am I understanding right that saving my shsh really only affects the unlock? Lastly the shsh I saved with the previous iPhone 4 won't work with the replacement will it?

17. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

New phone, new hashes needed as they are unique to each iDevice.

Firmware version on device is irrelevant, only firmware currently being signed can be saved, which means 4.0.1 only for replacement phone.

18. Kayan macrumors 6502

You do not have to update your replacement iPhone4 in order to save 4.0.1 SHSH's. TinyUmbrella can/will ONLY save for the version of firmware that Apple is signing for (which is always the latest FW version) regardless of what FW you have. And your SHSH's are unit specific: your old iPhone4 SHSH's will not work with your replacement.

19. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Thanks!