SHSH Blobs

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sigooner, Aug 4, 2012.

1. sigooner macrumors member

Im on iOS 5.1.1 and untethered jailbreak on the iPad 3. Can I still save my shsh blobs whilst it's already been jailbroken? Same applies for the iPhone 4?

Thanks

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

3. ipsychedelic, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

TinyUmbrella won't be able to do it by itself and there is no magic to download SHSH blobs if Apple is not signing them.

BUT, the good news is that Cydia does save SHSH Blobs every time you open it... so most likely the answer is YES, your SHSH blobs are saved (open up Cydia and check the top or bottom -don't remember- and it should list the blobs it has automatically saved for you).

So if Cydia has the blobs then you can use TinyUmbrella with Cydia option to try and restore with that old firmware version (I never did it before, I always locally save the blobs with TU, so I'm not sure how perfect Cydia signing server works).

By the way, so you don't confuse things, the SHSH blob is basically like a digital handshake file that is issued by Apple (or created locally, either way is has the ID of the device and other things) and when restoring via iTunes it uses that key to communicate with Apple servers and then if the key is correct you can use that firmware version.
    What TinyUmbrella does is, it uses that key saved locally or via Cydia and creates a fake signing server so when iTunes calls home, it's in fact calling TinyUmbrella/Cydia and if the key is correct (saved locally or on Cydia servers) then it allows the firmware restoration.
    Why they haven't cracked the server to work so that you don't even need a SHSH blob, beats me, probably a hard-as-hell encryption system is in place.
    So this has nothing to do with a jailbroken device being able to just "grab" SHSH blobs for any firmware just like that (and I think SHSH blobs were made anyway by Apple to stop people from jail breaking).

4. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

@ipsychedelic:
    It works a bit differently as described

As 5.1.1 is still signed TU DOES do it by itself.

For 5+ restores using SHSH it also needs the APTicket, which TU will get as well.

Finally for 4- firmware it will connect via a Cydia server, for 5+ firmware it will connect directly to apple's servers with restores.

@OP
    just use TU to get your SHSH/APticket and BBTicket automatically, you can use that if you need to restore to 5.1.1 for some reason.

5. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

I stand corrected.
    For some reason I read "I'm on 5.0.1"... hehehehe... ;)

I didn't know about the APTicket, but I guess that has something to do with the randomized thingy on the blobs on the "iOS 5.x era".

6. sigooner thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys for ur replies , much appreciated. I'm kind of new to all this so don't really understand it all fully, is there anything I'm supposed to do now or is it all sorted?

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yes, use TinyUmbrella to save your hash and APTicket files for every firmware version Apple releases for each iDevice you have.