Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

junkiepilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Hi All

New to this forum, and to the iPhone, I'm coming from android so please don't shoot me down in flames!

Quick Story

I got a new iPhone 4 last week, updated it to 4.3 last Thursday. Now I am looking at all the hacks available. Seems not much for 4.3 ATM. Anyways, I used Tiny Umbrella to back up my SHSHs and it backed up the following...

4.2.1 (8C148)
4.3 (8F190)
4.3b1 (8F5148b)
4.3b2 (8F5153d)
4.3b3 (8F5166b)

How the hell has it backed up all of the above? I was expecting it to only list 4.3.

And, does this mean it possible for me to go-back to 4.2.1 and jailbreak with greenpois0n ?

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
More than likely the 4.2.1 blobs are still being signed, and yours was at one time on 4.2.1. Yes, if you have the blobs you can downgrade to it.

junkiepilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
More than likely the 4.2.1 blobs are still being signed, and yours was at one time on 4.2.1. Yes, if you have the blobs you can downgrade to it.

Thanks for the quick reply, and this can be done directly in Tiny Umbrella?

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
TBH I haven't any experience with Tiny Umbrella. I tweak the host file to get the shsh from Cydia when I need to downgrade.

junkiepilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
TBH I haven't any experience with Tiny Umbrella. I tweak the host file to get the shsh from Cydia when I need to downgrade.

So what should I use to downgrade then, if im not currently jailbroken? iTunes with a 4.2.1 ipsw?

Last edited:

junkiepilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Ok, so i can now easily restore to 4.2.1, thanks for the tips.

However I am unable to restore a backup made in 4.3 onto 4.2.1. iTunes states that ""Cannot restore "XXXXXX iPhone" because the software on this iPhone is too old." "To restore this iPhone from this backup you must first set up the iPHone as new, and restore the software to the latest version".

so basically I have to set the device up as new, which is not ideal.

Are there any work arounds to restore my 4.3 backup onto 4.2.1?

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
Ok, so i can now easily restore to 4.2.1, thanks for the tips.

However I am unable to restore a backup made in 4.3 onto 4.2.1. iTunes states that ""Cannot restore "XXXXXX iPhone" because the software on this iPhone is too old." "To restore this iPhone from this backup you must first set up the iPHone as new, and restore the software to the latest version".

so basically I have to set the device up as new, which is not ideal.

Are there any work arounds to restore my 4.3 backup onto 4.2.1?

make sure u dont have it set to sync automatically when connected..

then say you have it set up as a new device..but dont set it to sync... u right click on the iphone on the left bar/column and you will see an option to choose which back up to restore from... if you have more than one.. hopefully u will have one before 4.3... if not then nothing u can do about it.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-21 at 10.03.27 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-21 at 10.03.27 PM.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 45

junkiepilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
make sure u dont have it set to sync automatically when connected..

then say you have it set up as a new device..but dont set it to sync... u right click on the iphone on the left bar/column and you will see an option to choose which back up to restore from... if you have more than one.. hopefully u will have one before 4.3... if not then nothing u can do about it.

Thanks for the reply, I dont have a 4.2.1 backup, only 4.3. Even if I did have an old 4.2.1 backup, it kind of defeats the object of restoring my current settings.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
Thanks for the reply, I dont have a 4.2.1 backup, only 4.3. Even if I did have an old 4.2.1 backup, it kind of defeats the object of restoring my current settings.

Well since you know that already,....You expected some magical way of forcing the 4.3 backup onto your 4.2.1 ? .. and you did not mention anything about not wanting your old settings or any settings for that matter.. :) The question was can you restore your new backup to your now older software , well the answer is no.. I shouldnt think you made gigantic changes since you upgraded to 4.3? but regardless since you have no older back up, you are out of luck :) Enjoy

junkiepilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
You expected some magical way of forcing the 4.3 backup onto your 4.2.1 ? ..

Yes I did actually...lol.

looking into the iTunes backup folder it seems there is an "info" file in there that contains the following device information.

-------------------------------------
<key>Build Version</key>
<string>8F190</string>

<key>Product Version</key>
<string>4.3</string>

I might try and change this to the following, and see what happens, I will report back as it may be of some help to others.

<key>Build Version</key>
<string>8C148</string>

<string>4.2.1</string>

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
Yes I did actually...lol.

looking into the iTunes backup folder it seems there is an "info" file in there that contains the following device information.

<key>Build Version</key>
<string>8F190</string>

<string>4.3</string>

I might try and change this to the following, and see what happens, I will report back as it may be of some help to others.

<key>Build Version</key>
<string>8C148</string>

<string>4.2.1</string>

good idea.. :)

junkiepilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
It won't happen op. You can't restore a 4.3 backup to 4.2.1 firmware no matter what you try to edit.

So you have tried my above suggestion before then and it failed?

Another idea....

How about if I was to navigate to \System\Library\CoreServices\ via SSH
and edit the SystemVersion.plist on the phone to:

-------------------------------
<key>Build Version</key>
<string>8F190</string>

<string>4.3</string>
-------------------------------

Would this fool iTunes into thinking my phone was on 4.3 and let me restore the backup?

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I'd suggest simply starting from scratch on your phone. Think it's way more of a headache to do all this when you could just start from scratch and be done with it. Do you have a lot of important data that you just can't live without on your backup?

junkiepilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
I'd suggest simply starting from scratch on your phone. Think it's way more of a headache to do all this when you could just start from scratch and be done with it. Do you have a lot of important data that you just can't live without on your backup?

I dont think it's too much of a headache to edit 2 lines in a text file. It's actually more of a headache to set up the device from scratch.

I guess I'm still used to the ability to easily switch between ROM's on android and restore everything.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I guess I'm still used to the ability to easily switch between ROM's on android and restore everything.

In that case, welcome to the world of iPhone's :) Not sure if simply editing two lines in an info file will do the trick or not. I've always setup mine as new whenever JB'ing or restoring. Guess I'm just a slave to process :p

junkiepilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Many people have looked into this, you're not the only one that ever thought about it. And it won't work, if you want to waste your time go for it:)

I never thought that I was the only one that ever thought about it, maybe why I thought there may be an answer to this already. Do you always tell people to stop wasting their time? This doesn't seem like the best way forward for development.

This is my first thread on these forums after moving to iPhone and whilst some have been helpful others try and shoot me down and stop me in my tracks....Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned I was a previous Android user? I dont see how any of my posts have been unreasonable to elicit such unreasonable responses?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I never thought that I was the only one that ever thought about it, maybe why I thought there may be an answer to this already. Do you always tell people to stop wasting their time? This doesn't seem like the best way forward for development.

This is my first thread on these forums after moving to iPhone and whilst some have been helpful others try and shoot me down and stop me in my tracks....Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned I was a previous Android user? I dont see how any of my posts have been unreasonable to elicit such unreasonable responses?

Im just trying to help you and letting you know about it that's all.
You asked me if I ever personally tried it and told you many other people and hackers have looked into it before you also.
If you still want to give it a shot go for it, I guess I shouldnt have said anything or maybe have lied to you and tell you that it works. Maybe that would have made you happy.
Telling you the truth that it wont work is an unreasonable response?
This is what I get for trying to help and educate people:rolleyes:

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
It's obvious the OP only wants to hear that he can use the 4.3 backup on 4.2.1 with some minor editing. :rolleyes:
OP, all the advice we're giving is simply that: advice. You don't have to listen to it, but we are trying to help you out and save you time. As applejuiced said earlier, if you want to waste your time trying then go for it.
Im just trying to help you and letting you know about it that's all.
You asked me if I ever personally tried it and told you many other people and hackers have looked into it before you also.
If you still want to give it a shot go for it, I guess I shouldnt have said anything or maybe have lied to you and tell you that it works. Maybe that would have made you happy.
Telling you the truth that it wont work is an unreasonable response?
This is what I get for trying to help and educate people:rolleyes:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It's obvious the OP only wants to hear that he can use the 4.3 backup on 4.2.1 with some minor editing. :rolleyes:
OP, all the advice we're giving is simply that: advice. You don't have to listen to it, but we are trying to help you out and save you time. As applejuiced said earlier, if you want to waste your time trying then go for it.

He cant handle the truth:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.