Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Hi everyone. I'm in a bit of a conundrum, and I want to hear your opinions.

I've decided to join the 21st century and get a digital music player. After looking around at various models, I'm going the Apple route. My wife swears by her Sansa, but I'm not impressed. Ooooh, an FM radio. Whoopti-freakin'-doo. Samsung's new K5 almost had me, but the "cool" slide-out speakers make it as thick as a laptop, and reduces battery life by 80%. :eek:

But I digress. Here's the core problem:

I'm trying to decide between the 2nd Gen iPod shuffle, or the blue 4GB Nano.

Do I go for the shuffle, with its ultra-convenient clip, low price and obvious head-turn factor? Or the Nano, with its considerably larger song capacity, longer battery life and add-on capacity via its connector?

:confused:

(Keep in mind: Most of my collection is in 192kbps MP3, and I already use iTunes.)

Any and all opinions are welcome. Thanks!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
What do you plan to use it for?

I pretty much am just interested in shuffling through my entire library, and I'm never far from my computer, so the shuffle (the first generation 1 GB one I have) is perfect for me.

But if you're the type of person who wants to use it a lot but still go several days between syncs or you want to do a lot of navigating, the nano would be a better option.

Retired
May 16, 2006
How big is your library?

Is price an issue?

How much music could you go without?

isaidcheese

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2006
How big is your library?

Is price an issue?

If you plan on listening to long podcasts or audio books... The LCD screen on the NANO is a neccesity. Navigation through long mp3's is a PITA on the shuffle but a piece of cake on the NANO. Personally, I have the 30g videopod.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
WildCowboy said:
What do you plan to use it for?
Mostly casual listening while doing yard work or at home. Occasionally I drive three or so hours to my in-laws', and I'd like to listen to something besides my daughter's Wiggles and Max & Ruby DVDs. :) She's too young to keep headphones on, so that option's out.

(Oh, and congrats on the 3 million mark!)

psychofreak said:
How big is your library?

Is price an issue?

Currently, it's about 25 Gb. I've digitized virtually my entire collection, minus a few things I'm pretty sure I'd never listen to. I have lots of dance remixes and trance stuff, so my average file size is about 7.5 to 8 Mb.

If I were to buy it right now, yes, price would be an issue. Same thing if I were to ask for it as a Christmas gift. I'd specifically want the blue Nano, and it's what, $199? Compared to the shuffle's $79, that's a significant wad o' dough.

Most of my family and friends consider me a music freak, so I have a LOT of "favorites". Could I reduce it to a set that's part "perennial classics" and part "new hot choonz"? Perhaps. Could I reduce that to less than 1 Gb, considering my file sizes? That's a really tough question.

On the previously mentioned trips, I usually take my laptop with me, so refilling/recharging wouldn't be too much of a problem.

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
Buy both!

It really depends how you use of your iPod.

If you want an iPod to carry a large library around with you, then go with the Nano. If you want to just play some songs from your library like a playlist, then go with the Shuffle.

The Shuffle is not meant to carry a large amound of songs, because you don't have a screen, which makes inconvenient to do a search for music. It's meant to just play whatever comes out...

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Buy both!

It really depends how you use of your iPod.

Oh, if I had the money...

I can easily envision times when I could really use the Nano's extended capacity for a "portable DJ set" (sometimes I bring the laptop on trips just for the music). It's just as easy to envision me using it around the house or at work/lunch, switched on random, which is the shuffle's forte'.

If there was a 2GB 2nd gen shuffle (as some people around here keep mistaking there to be :D ), this dilemma would be instantly solved.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Do I go for the shuffle, with its ultra-convenient clip, low price and obvious head-turn factor? Or the Nano, with its considerably larger song capacity, longer battery life and add-on capacity via its connector?

If it was me I'd discount the head-turn factor. You never know why the heads are turning. With something as small and grabbable [what a wonderful word!] as that it might be best to keep it tucked out of sight.

abeyk

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2006
Houston, TX
Nano

Go with the nano, unless you are only using it for exercise go with it. The screen is really why I would never get a shuffle, to me really it would work only as a secondary iPod, but that's up to you. The nano is of course not as cheap, but the screen,battery, features, and capacity really pay off.

Trishul

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Oh, if I had the money...

I can easily envision times when I could really use the Nano's extended capacity for a "portable DJ set" (sometimes I bring the laptop on trips just for the music). It's just as easy to envision me using it around the house or at work/lunch, switched on random, which is the shuffle's forte'.

well it may not be as easy as the flip of a switch, though still easy enough (option on first menu), you can use the nano on random.

From the sound of your needs, i'd go for the nano, notably because you want something you can use in the car, assuming you're not using headphones of course :p the lcd screen is invaluable in that case, and you can get a cool iTrip for the nano for wireless playback on any radio. I'd personally get a shuffle only if you already had a 'normal' iPod, unless you were someone constantly hooking up to a computer. Having 4GB will mean less re-syncs, you might find you won't need to change music that often actually.

I'd get the nano first, you'll find it invaluable, and then if you find yourself lusting over the shuffle, get that later, you can always keep the nano in the car, or wherever, and use the shuffle for garden work etc..

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Thanks to everyone who's spoke up so far. I'm leaning more and more toward the Nano now.

A side question for those who have a new-style Nano: Does the brushed aluminum case hide scratch marks and smudges better than the previous generation's plastic case?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.