Shuffle Spaces order possible?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by THX723, Jul 22, 2010.

1. THX723 macrumors member

Hi all,

Is it possible to re-assign the order of Spaces (not the contents) under Snow Leopard? perhaps a third party utility?

e.g. default 1,2,3 --> 2,1,3

I use 3 spaces and would prefer the middle screen to be the default (#1) and so I can intuitively swipe left/right as necessary to spaces 2 or 3.

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

While in Spaces, just drag the Space you want to the place it should be now.

3. THX723 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks spinner. I'm aware of the contents dragging, however that's not quite it. I would prefer the default screen to be in the center. It would save quite a bit of hassle to have the OS boot up and start at where #2 would normally be and flanked by two space on the left and right.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, I don't think you quite understood him. Drag the space itself, not the contents. If you need to rearrange the contents somewhat to do so, fine, but you want to click and drag on the blue area that represents the space, instead of the contents of the space.

spacesclick.jpg

jW

5. THX723 thread starter macrumors member

Yes that was the way I understood it, just poor phrasing on my part. Dragging the "blue area" swaps the contents within, but doesn't change the order of the actual spaces. It's always 1,2,3. I'm looking for 2,1,3

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What about switching the assignment of applications?

Maybe you can create a special gesture to switch to desired Spaces?

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That's kinda nonsensical. It's always going to be in numerical order, that's the way it works. Just put the stuff you need in the space you want to use it in and don't worry about the numbers (unless you use them to switch, in which case just learn which number space you put it in).

You're not going to be able to change that about Spaces, so you either need to adjust the way you work or look for another solution.

jW

8. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

There may be a default spaces window entry you could create in com.apple.dock.plist - however I'm not knowledgeable to know where or what to do. I suppose you could try to assign an app to use the centre space and add it to the startup items on login.

9. shrx macrumors newbie

is it possible to disable this?